Information on health insurance
Pursuant to Section 5 subsection 1 Number 9 of the German Social Security Code Book V (SGB V), students must take out public health insurance if they are enrolled at a public or publicly recognized German university. To enroll at Universität Hamburg, they must therefore be insured through a public health insurance provider or seek an exemption from a public health insurance provider.
Public health insurance providers inform universities about a student’s insurance status (publicly insured or exempt). Thus, once you receive an acceptance letter, contact a public health insurance provider immediately and have yourself insured or exempted so that Universität Hamburg can be notified about your insurance status. If we do not receive notification about your insurance status, your enrollment cannot be finalized and you will not receive semester documents!
To notify Universität Hamburg of your insurance status, public health insurance providers may need the University’s company number: 16711009
Statutory health insurance exemption
If by enrolling you are required to take out a student public health insurance policy, you can under certain conditions seek an exemption. Any public health insurance providers can notify the University if you are exempted from public health insurance.
- Private health insurance: If you wish to remain insured privately (e.g., you are insured through a parental insurance policy), you can seek an exemption from the public health insurance obligation. This is true also for those who are eligible for aid and are receiving medical welfare benefits or military benefits. In such cases, contact a public health insurance provider so that Universität Hamburg is notified about your exemption.
- Over 30: If you are over 30, you are not required to take out student public health insurance when you enroll. Due to your age, you can seek an exemption. Contact a public health insurance provider so that Universität Hamburg is notified about your exemption.
- European health insurance: If you are publicly insured in another European country, you can use this policy in Germany. Contact a German public health insurance provider so that Universität Hamburg is notified about your exemption.
Make sure that a public health insurance provider thoroughly informs you about the consequences of an exemption before they grant one: if you accept an exemption, it applies for the duration of your studies and cannot be revoked!
Information for international students
- Students insured in a European country are exempt from the insurance obligation as a rule. Contact a German public health insurance provider to have the exemption confirmed.
- Travel health insurance does not provide sufficient coverage for studies in Germany. Therefore, do not take out travel health insurance for the duration of your stay.
- Please make sure that your health insurance covers all health risks, as high treatment costs apply, which you have to bear if not covered by your insurance. For inquiries concerning health insurance coverage in Germany, please contact the Counselling Center for Social & International Affairs (BeSI) at the Studierendenwerk Hamburg.
- International students who can take out valid insurance only once they are in Germany can notify us accordingly after they arrive.
- If you need proof of health insurance to apply for a visa, you can take out a provisional policy to cover the first 3 months of your stay. Once you arrive in Hamburg, you then take out health insurance for the duration of your studies. Please note the information on health insurance in our leaflet To-dos for New Students (PDF).
- See https://www.hamburg.com/newcomers/study/11872998/health-insurance/ for more information about health insurance for international students.
NB: Any type of health insurance that is not provided by a German public health insurance provider must be reviewed by a public health provider. If your health insurance policy provides sufficient coverage for the duration of your studies in Germany, any German public health provider can notify us of your exemption from the public health insurance obligation.
Changing degree programs at Universität Hamburg
If you are currently enrolled at Universität Hamburg and simply wish to change your degree program, minor, or teaching subject, you need to contact your health insurance provider only if your health insurance policy or status changes when you make the change.