Proof of health insurance coverage upon enrollment
Once you have been accepted, you will need to submit, in addition to your application for enrollment, proof of health insurance coverage. Please contact the responsible health insurance agency for proper documents.
State health insurance agencies provide the following information to all applicants:
- whether you are insured independently or through your parents' health insurance policy (this document must also include the ref. no. of your insurance agency and your ref. no.).
- whether you are exempt from an insurance obligation, e.g. because you are insured through a private agency (all state agencies can issue a statement to this effect).
Please note that any type of health insurance which is not provided by a state agency must be reviewed by a state agency. If your policy provides sufficient coverage for the duration of your studies in Germany, the state agency can issue an exemption from the state coverage obligation.
Note: If you are over 30 years of age, you are not obliged to have student health insurance. In this case, you do not have to submit any proof of health insurance.
Please submit proof of health insurance or proof of exemption in addition to proof that you are privately insured and enrollment documents. No original documents are required (unauthorized documents suffice).
Health insurance documents can be submitted after submitting enrollment documents, if you do not have proof of health insurance yet during the enrollment period.
It is important to submit the missing documents as soon as possible after the enrollment period. The conditional semester documents will be valid from 1st October till 31st October for a winter semester and from 1st April till 30th April for a summer semester. Therefore, we advise you to submit the missing documents till the mid of October/mid of April to get the final semester documents and the semester certification in time.
In this case, to file your documents, you must provide your applicant number (see your letter of acceptance) and your subject.
Exemption for privately-insured students
If you are obligated to take out health insurance as a student but would prefer to stay insured through your parents' private policy, you can apply for an exemption from state insurance coverage. All state agencies may issue proof thereof.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly urge you to consult a state agency about the consequences of exemption from the state insurance obligation. Once you are officially exempt, you may not retract the decision for the duration of your studies!
Information for international students
- Students with a European Health Insurance Card can submit a copy as proof that they have health insurance. Make sure you find out in advance from your health insurance provider about the extent of medical coverage, billing, and cost reimbursement should you require medical treatment in Germany.
- Travel health insurance does not provide sufficient coverage for studies in Germany. Therefore, do not take out travel health insurance for the duration of your stay.
- If you are still in your country of origin and have not yet been able to take out German health insurance, you may also submit your proof of insurance after arriving in Germany.
- If you need proof of health insurance to apply for a visa, you can take out a provisional policy to cover the first 3 months of your stay. Once you arrive in Hamburg, you then take out health insurance for the duration of your studies. Please note the information on health insurance in our leaflet To-dos for New Students (PDF).
- See http://english.welcome.hamburg.de/study-and-research/2074608/health-insurance-for-students/ for more information about health insurance for new students.
Changing the degree program at Universität Hamburg
If you are currently enrolled at Universität Hamburg and are only changing your degree program or your minor/teaching subject, you only need to submit proof of health insurance for enrollment if your health insurance has changed in the course of changing your degree program.