Instructions for applying online
You are able to apply online only during the application periods:
- For commencement of studies in summer semesters: from 1 December to 15 January
- For commencement of studies in winter semesters: from 1 June to 15 July
- For international master's degree programs: from 15 February to 31 March
For general hints please read the pdf brochures:
- Application Information about online applications for bachelor's programs and state exams (first year students) (PDF, only available in German)
- Application Information about online applications for bachelor's programs and state exams (higher semester) (PDF, only available in German)
- Application Information about online applciations for master's programs (PDF, only available in German)
- Application Information about online applciations for international master's programs (PDF, English)
Applicants to the master's programs should also read the information provided on the individual degree programs at www.uni-hamburg.de/list-master. Both these sources of information will provide you with helpful hints on how to submit a successful application and are updated in time for the commencement of the application periods.
The dates for notification of acceptance or rejection for a place will be posted at the beginning of the application period on the start page for online applications.
Step-by-step instructions for online applications (with screenshots)
- Online application instructions for non-EU international applicants, example: Bachelor with minor, first semester (PDF, German only)
- Online application instructions for EU international applicants, example: Bachelor of Science, first semester (PDF)
- Online application instructions for teacher training (PDF, German only)
How to submit your online application electronically
To submit your online application, please follow these steps:
- Click on 'Online-Bewerbung' / 'Online-Application' to view your application and select 'Bearbeiten' / 'Edit'.
- To submit your application, you will first need to confirm the status of all application sections is 'OK'. Click on the sections to add any missing information as appropriate.
- Once you have finished, click on 'Auf Vollständigkeit prüfen' / 'Check for completeness' to check the completeness of your application and submit it.
- If mandatory fields have not been completed, you will be informed of this. Please add any missing information and click again on 'Auf Vollständigkeit prüfen' / 'Check for completeness' .
- If your application is complete, an overview will be shown.
- Check your details one last time here before clicking on 'Senden' / 'Submit'.
Please note that we can only acknowledge applications with the "sent/received" status in the current round of applications at Universität Hamburg. Applications with "open" status will not be processed.
In order to print your application, please do the following:
After submitting your application via the 'Send' button, switch to the print view by clicking on the "Print" button. You can come back to that page at any time by clicking on the 'Online-Application' button.
Use the print function in your browser ("File > Print" or the shortcut "Control + P") to print your application.
If you have to submit paper documents to apply, please put the sheet on top so that your documents can be assigned to your application. Paper documents are only required for applying for some master programs.