This page:UHH > Career Center
Guiding the First Steps on Your Career Path
The Career Center at Universität Hamburg sees itself as a service provider, guiding students and graduates (who graduated less than 2 years ago) in preparing for and setting out on their careers.
Our services help to broaden perspectives, increase visibility, make the most of networking, and develop methods and organizational skills for professional life.
We provide workshops and lectures (current program) as well as career counseling specifically tailored to individual circumstances and collaboratively develop ideas and solutions, always bearing gender and diversity in mind. [Learn more about us]
The Career Center would like to extend individual courses like the lecture and discussion series Fishing for Careers and Talking about Careers beyond the University to encourage discussions on a range of topics and current career challenges across a broader audience of interested guests.
In addition, we offer a range of further informative options, including recorded lectures, podcasts, a blog, the independent study course Landkarte der Berufsfindung, the Infopool, and tips on job hunting and applying for jobs online.
You can keep up to date with our monthly newsletter: subscribe to our newsletter.
The Career Center provides a range of services to students and graduates (who graduated less than 2 years ago) from Universität Hamburg to give them the best start to their career. These focus on professional orientation, career-path planning, applying, career strategies, and balancing work and family life:
- Workshops on professional orientation and target setting, on designing application documents and on preparing for job interviews
- Lectures on topics from the working world
- Vocational experience
- Individual advice on professional orientation and designing application documents
- Advising in small groups on the design of application documents and presenting oneself in job interviews
- Landkarte der Berufsfindung e-learning course for independent study (optional workshop series)
- Mentoring program
- Job-hunting tips
- Applications tips
- Podcasts on starting your career (e.g., Mein Einstieg in den Job)
- Recorded lectures (e.g., the Fishing for Careers series, designing application documents, starting salaries, the job market, and much more)
- Infopool for further research
We assist you, even before you have finished your studies, to identify and activate skills that are common to all professions. The available services allow you to:
- strengthen and develop your existing skills and discover additional abilities
- reflect on your individual opportunities from a professional and social context
- actively find and use networks
- form interesting contacts with companies and their teams
- unfold your sustainability and diversity skills
- analyze your personal work-life balance challenges
In addition to our workshops (e.g., on project management, voice and presentation training, conflict management, and leadership skills), students and graduates from Universität Hamburg have the opportunity to get to know each other through interdisciplinary teams collaborating in practical projects.
Next step, doctoral studies? Do I want to keep working in academia? What would it be like to work on a doctorate? What does that actually mean for me and my life? Students and graduates from Universität Hamburg can use the services offered by the Career Center to check their own interest in undertaking doctoral studies and think seriously about the idea.
Advice on further steps and guidance for doctoral researchers is available from HR Development at Universität Hamburg (Compass—Career Development Program for Doctoral and Early Career Researchers) and at the Hamburg Research Academy (HRA), which offer special support services.
The Beratungswegweiser für wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchs (guide for early career researchers) contains an overview of the various places where prospective doctoral researchers, doctoral researchers, and postdoctoral researchers can get advice and information.
Students or graduates from Universität Hamburg who are interested in founding their own company can go over their ideas with the Career Center and find out what is required to found a company.
For prospective female founders, there is a regular and open female founders breakfast where they can exchange ideas with experienced founders, learn from each other, and network.