The eight faculties of Universität Hamburg are in charge of the doctoral application and admissions procedure. All formal matters are laid down in the Faculties' doctoral regulations.
Your application for admission to doctoral studies must contain the following documents:
- university degree certificate
- tabular CV
- exposé of your doctoral project
- further documents in accordance with the faculties's regulations
Please download detailed info from the respective faculty:
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Education (in German only)
- Faculty of Humanities (in German only)
- Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Psychology and Human Movement Science (in German only)
- Faculty of Business Administration (Hamburg Business School)
If your application is approved, you will be admitted to doctoral studies and allowed to enroll at Universität Hamburg.
After receiving your admission to doctoral studies, please submit the corresponding online application form in our application portal STiNE (registration at www.uni-hamburg.de/online-application) with the following documents for enrollment:
- university degree certificate (simple copy)
- current confirmation from your doctoral supervisor at Universität Hamburg
- doctoral studies at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Studies require an admission confirmation from the respective graduate school: http://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/en/einrichtungen/graduate-school/
- doctoral studies at the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences require an admission confirmation from the respective Academic Office: https://www.promovieren.uni-hamburg.de/en/min/promotion/voraussetzungen.html
- doctoral studies at the Faculty of Humanities require an admission confirmation from the doctoral studies office of the faculty (Dr. phil.) or the doctoral studies office of the department of protestant theology (Dr. theol.). As an interim measure, a supervisory commitment may be submitted, and the admission confirmation submitted later: www.gwiss.uni-hamburg.de/en/studium/promotion.html
- doctoral studies at the Faculty of Business Administration require an admission confirmation from the faculty: https://www.bwl.uni-hamburg.de/en/forschung/promotion
- doctoral studies at the Faculty of Medicine in the area of medicine or dentistry require a confirmation of registration for doctoral studies from the faculty.
- doctoral studies in the PhD programs at the Faculty of Medicine require an admission confirmation from the faculty.
- proof of health insurance, see here for more information
Important note: your doctoral admission may state an enrollment deadline! Please meet the deadline!
The Campus Center reserves the right to request a current project confirmation from your doctoral supervisor at appropriate intervals.
Doctoral students with disabilities or chronic diseases
Funding sources for doctoral students with disabilities or chronic diseases are very limited, particularly if you are in need of special assistance. We recommend that you seek advice at the Office of Affairs for Students with Disabilities or Chronic Diseases (information in German only).
Are you an international doctoral student who needs an entry visa for Germany? If that be the case, please apply timely for your visa at the responsible German consulate or embassy; visa processing may span two to three months.
Important note: three-months Schengen visa (tourist visa) cannot be extended for study or research periods in Germany!
Further visa information:
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) info on entry and visa regulations, residence and work permits