PIASTA Welcome Week
Welcome Week dates
Summer Semester Welcome Week 2023: Monday 20 March 2023 until Thursday 23 March 2023
Winter Semester Welcome Week 2023/24: Monday 25 September 2023 until Friday 29 September 2023
Information sessions, activities for meeting new people, and campus tours - online and in person
Dear New Students of Universität Hamburg,
warmly welcome to the Welcome Week of the PIASTA team
What do you need to know?
- We invite all new students to the PIASTA Welcome Week!
- As the Department of International Affairs tutor team, we are responsible for offering international students from all over the world who are new to Hamburg support at the start of their studies. For events with a limited number of spaces, international students take priority when booking.
- We offer a rich program of information activities, campus and neighborhood tours, and interactive activities to help you meet people.
- To accommodate both those not yet in Hamburg and those already in the city, we have a mix of digital and on-site events.
How can I participate?
- Get the UHH Join app so that you can see the program and book events in a timely fashion. The app enables you to register for any events you want.
- Start of the registration period: 1 March (summer semester); 1 September (winter semester)
- For events with a limited number of spaces, international students take priority when booking. Therefore, in September in particular, events such as campus tours for students from Germany may be fully booked shortly after registration begins.
- There are events conducted in German and English. Take note of the events you have registered for.
- If you do not have a uni username (STiNE username) yet, you can simply sign up to the UHH Join app with your private email address to book events.
- If you do not have time to attend an event that you have booked, be sure to cancel your booking.
What is the difference? PIASTA Welcome Week and orientation modules (OEs) in brief
PIASTA Welcome Week
- The PIASTA Welcome Week takes place a week before the orientation modules for most degree programs; there are some exceptions, though, where orientation modules and PIASTA Welcome Week overlap.
- The objective is to welcome all new students, particularly international students from abroad, to Hamburg.
- It helps you become familiar with the campus and meet students from all faculties and from all over the world.
- You will obtain all the important general information for starting your studies.
- Attendance is voluntary.
- You can choose events and courses from a very diverse week-long program.
- You must register online via UHH Join for events.
Orientation module (OE)
- The orientation module for your degree program usually takes place following the PIASTA Welcome Week in the week before your studies begin. (There are exceptions where the PIASTA Welcome Week and the orientation module overlap.)
- Only students in your degree program will take part in your orientation module. Therefore, in contrast to the PIASTA Welcome Week, there are places for all events for all students of the respective degree program.
- You will be given an introduction to the structure of your degree program and will find out how to register in STiNE for your first-semester courses. Therefore, the STiNE registration deadline for the first semester is during the orientation module week.
- Participation is highly recommended.
- Usually, there is a fixed weekly program for all students in a degree program.
- Orientation module registration varies from degree program to degree program: usually, you just take part in a welcome activity on the first orientation module day, when you are assigned to an orientation module group (find more information on the orientation modules).
We highly recommend you take part in both the PIASTA Welcome Week and the subject-specific orientation modules.
Do you still have questions? Contact us at piasta-welcome"AT"uni-hamburg.de.
We wish you a good start at Universität Hamburg!
The PIASTA Team
Online campus tour of Universität Hamburg
Dear First-Year Students,
if you are curious and would like to get to know the campus online, take a look:
To-dos for new students
Your application was successful, but there is still a lot to do! Our brochure gives you an overview of everything you need to do and all the necessary information on how to do it:
Presentations PIASTA Welcome Week Summer Semester 2023
- Academic writing – what you need to know
- Campus Tour - Online
- Department of International Affairs - information for international students
- German as a Foreign language - Courses at Hamburg University
- Hamburg Welcome Center - information for international students
- How Does Stuying Work?
- IT - Introduction into the services of the Regional Data Center of the University of Hamburg
- Language Café Language Tandem - PIASTA
- Library - How to use the Hamburg State and University Library
- Scholarships for International Students
- To-Do's for New Students
- University Sports Hamburg
- Who, Where, What? - A Short Guide to the University
- Working while studying - What‘s to know
PIASTA Tour Guides
Here you find the flyer of our PIASTA guided tours that will encourage you to discover Hamburg and the campus: