What is a Language Tandem?
When two students meet to teach each other their native languages. For example, if your native language is Spanish and you would like to improve your German, we match you up with a tandem partner whose native language is German and who would like to learn Spanish!
It goes without saying that tandem partners also learn about one another’s native countries, but the main goal is improving language skills. Both participants should have sound basic knowledge of the foreign language and both languages should be practiced equally (e.g., one hour per language).
The language tandem is an opportunity to put your language skills into practice as well as to meet new people and find out more about their country and culture.
Who can apply for Tandem?
Universität Hamburg students as well as students in the Studienkolleg in Hamburg.
How do I sign up for it?
Our Tandem service is here to put interested students in touch with each other by matching your wishes. Five steps to successful placement:
- Fill out a short registration form in which you indicate your language(s) and wishes.
- After having processed your registration, we will look for possible matches in our database. If we find a match, we will contact you immediately.
- We then will send you your potential partner's email-adresses and/or phone numbers.
- It is then up to you and your Tandem partner to get in contact with each other and find a time and location to meet for your first Tandem session. For first meetings, we recommend a neutral location such as a cosy campus café, etc.
- Sometimes, people just don't fit. If you are not happy with your Tandem partner, feel free to contact us any time.
Please note (for Languagetandem): The demand for English, French or Spanish is high. If you are applying for those languages, please be patient.
We cannot process contact details if registration is incomplete.
Language Tandem Certificate
After having reached the goals defined by you and your Tandem partner, you can acquire a free certificate documenting your succesful completion of a Tandem partnership. You just need to document the steps of your learning goals by using an ePortfolio or eLearning Diary, which can be downloaded here or obtained from our advisor. The eLearning Diary, which is quite similar to an artist's portfolio, is meant to document your progress. Furthermore, it is the ideal way to help both partners reflect upon the learning process.
The Tandem Certificate can also be used for the CIC component C.
What information is recorded in my Tandem Certificate? Name, address, target language, goals, and how you reached them.