Hamburglobal Funding Program
Hamburglobal: financial support for students who would like to go abroad during their studies
The Hamburglobal funding program supports Universität Hamburg students who would like to go abroad during their studies by providing monthly subsidies of €350 to €550 to cover living expenses (country-dependent, max. 5 months; monthly subsidy rates 2023). Funding is available for study abroad, internships, language courses, technical/specialist courses, and for students who want to prepare their final thesis abroad. Digital short formats abroad can be funded for a duration of up to 6 weeks.
Current application deadlines:
- 1–31 March 2023 for stays abroad that will begin between 1 July and 31 December 2023.
- 1–31 October 2023 for stays abroad that will begin between 1 January and 30 June 2024.
Submit your application exclusively online by the specified deadline. The online application portal is available from 1–31 March and from 1-31 October respectively. Applications are accepted during these periods only. Follow the guidelines for online applications.
We recommend that you observe the above-mentioned application deadlines to ensure planning security early on. For stays abroad planned at short notice, you have the following application possibilities:
- 1–31 March 2023:
- retroactively for stays abroad that began no earlier than 1 January 2023 and will end no earlier than 1 April 2023.
- for stays abroad that will begin between 1 April and 30 June 2023.
- 1–31 October 2023:
- For October 2023 we can only take retroactive applications for stays in the UK.
- retroactively for stays abroad that began in the current calendar year and will end between 1 November and 31 December 2023
- for short-term stays that will take place between 1 November and 31 December 2023.
This option does not apply to applications that were rejected in the previous application round.
Information on study excursions
Applications for study excursions must be submitted by a faculty member.
Students undertaking study excursions of up to twelve days can now apply to the PROMOS Program for an accommodation subsidy. For excursions to EU states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, and Turkey, students receive EUR 30, and to all other countries EUR 40 per person per day.
Staff and faculty members accompanying the excursion are also eligible for an accomodation subsidy. Excursions should impart subject-specific knowledge, insight into the culture and landscape of the country visited, and also encourage encounters between students and academics. We cannot fund tourist-oriented excursions or travel related to conferences or congresses.
Please send your application during the Hamburglobal application period to outgoings"AT"uni-hamburg.de.
A committee comprised of academic staff members and students at Universität Hamburg select Hamburglobal scholarship recipients. The following criteria are applied during selection:
- completeness of application
- academic achievement
- extracurricular qualifications and general personal criteria such as voluntary service, political, social, cultural, or athletic activities
- knowledge of the language of instruction or work, if applicable
- relevance of host country or institution
We look forward to receiving your application and good luck!
Funding of online programs
From 1 March 2021, digital short formats abroad can be funded for a duration of up to 6 weeks. Stays abroad that must be conducted partially or completely online instead of in person due to the coronavirus pandemic may be funded. More information here.
DAAD overseas insurance
You can purchase health insurance coverage from the DAAD for the duration of your stay abroad. Further information is available here.
Application deadlines for Study Excursions
- 1–31 March for study excursions that will begin between 1 July and 31 December the same year.
- 1–31 October for study excursions that will begin between 1 January and 30 June the following year and for study excursions that are in an advanced planning stage, even if the excursion is planned to take place between 1 July and 30 September the following year. In this case, a renewed application in the following March for the same study excursion is not permitted; the funds will be disbursed no earlier than two months before the excursion begins.
University instructors only may submit applications for funding for study excursions.
The application process for a Hamburglobal Scholarship is exclusively electronic! The Department of International Affairs reviews the requirements you meet in order to determine the scholarship(s) for which you are eligible. Please upload one file per document only! Please ensure that scanned files are of good quality.
An expert committee (see below) reviews your application, ranks all submissions, and decides whether or not to award a Hamburglobal scholarship.
Students with an ERASMUS Scholarship are not eligible for Hamburglobal funding.
To apply for a Hamburglobal Scholarship, please complete the online form and submit it electronically along with the following documents:
- Online application form
- Tabular CV
- Statement of motivation (two pages maximum!)
- STiNE course overview or: Transcript of Records, issued by the academic office / examination office; first-semester master's students must submit their undergraduate diploma with grades and their current STINE course overview
- An expert evaluation from a full-time instructor (PhD or professor) in the respective subject at Universität Hamburg (submissions accepted in written form or via email(angelika.hau"AT"uni-hamburg.de))
Master's students in their first semester can also submit an evaluation from an instructor from their undergraduate program at Universität Hamburg.
- Academic study abroad: one-page learning agreement (does not have to be signed by the host institution)
- Confirmation by the host institution (If this is not available upon application, please clarify the current state of contact, for example, by forwarding an email)
- If necessary, up to two documents proving involvement in academic self-administration, political, social, cultural interests, and proof of activity in these areas
- Proof of enrollment
- if you want to study, do an internship or prepare your thesis abroad: language certificates in the language of academic work or instruction; language certificates may not be more than two years old. You can take language exams at, among other places, the University Language Center (the “Einstufungstest” suffices).
If you are studying a language as a major, you can also contact your language instructors.
Language tests can also be taken with the VHS for a EUR 50 fee: VHS courses. More information about language certificates here. You can find the DAAD language proof form here (pdf).
Study abroad and internships in Europe or in the Erasmus countries (EU member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia and Turkey) are generally not eligible for funding. See the Erasmus Program website for information about studying and doing internships in Europe.
Funding for Hamburglobal comes from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) PROMOS funds (Programm zur Steigerung der Mobilität von deutschen Studierenden—program to increase the mobility of German students) and Universität Hamburg. In addition, the Steffens Memorial Fund may award foundation funds.