Hamburglobal Funding Program
Hamburglobal: financial support for students who would like to go abroad during their studies
The Hamburglobal funding program supports Universität Hamburg students who would like to go abroad during their studies by providing monthly subsidies of €350 to €550 to cover living expenses (country-dependent, max. 6 months; monthly subsidy rates 2021). Funding is available for study abroad, internships, language courses, technical/specialist courses, and for students who want to prepare their final thesis abroad. Digital short formats abroad can be funded for a duration of up to 6 weeks.
Current application deadlines:
- 1–31 October 2021 for stays abroad that will begin between 1 January and 30 June 2022.
- 1–31 March 2022 for stays abroad that will begin between 1 July and 31 December 2022.
Submit your application exclusively online by the specified deadline. The online application portal is available from 1–31 March and from 1-31 October respectively. Applications are accepted during these periods only. Follow the guidelines for online applications.
We recommend that you observe the above-mentioned application deadlines to ensure planning security early on. For stays abroad planned at short notice, you have the following application possibilities:
- 1–31 October 2021:
- retroactively for stays abroad that began in the current calendar year and will end between 1 November and 31 December 2021.
- for short-term stays that will take place between 1 November and 31 December 2021.
- 1–31 March 2022:
- retroactively for stays abroad that began no earlier than 1 January 2022 and will end no earlier than 1 April 2022.
- for stays abroad that will begin between 1 April and 30 June 2022.
This option does not apply to applications that were rejected in the previous application round.
Digital group consultation for the October 2021 application period
If you are planning to apply for Hamburglobal funding during the October 2021 application period, sign up for our digital group consultation to clarify your unanswered questions on the application process and application documents.
12 pm–13 pm: 19 October 2021 via Zoom. If you’re interested, please register before 11 am on 19 October 2021 via the registration app UHH Join.
Funding of online programs
From 1 March 2021, digital short formats abroad can be funded for a duration of up to 6 weeks. Stays abroad that must be conducted partially or completely online instead of in person due to the coronavirus pandemic may be funded. More information here.
Application deadlines for Study Excursions
- 1–31 October for study excursions that will begin between 1 January and 30 June 2022 and for study excursions that are in an advanced planning stage, even if the excursion is planned to take place between 1 July and 30 September 2022. In this case, a renewed application in the following March for the same study excursion is not permitted; the funds will be disbursed no earlier than two months before the excursion begins.
- 1–31 March for study excursions that will begin between 1 July and 31 December 2022.
University instructors only may submit applications for funding for study excursions.
Study abroad and internships in Europe or in the Erasmus countries (EU member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia and Turkey) are generally not eligible for funding. See the Erasmus Program website for information about studying and doing internships in Europe.
Funding for Hamburglobal comes from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) PROMOS funds (Programm zur Steigerung der Mobilität von deutschen Studierenden—program to increase the mobility of German students) and Universität Hamburg. In addition, the Steffens Memorial Fund may award foundation funds.