Trilateral staff development and exchange program (TriStraX)
Learning with and from each other – across three continents
Northwestern University, Stellenbosch University and Universität Hamburg organize a trilateral staff development and exchange program (TriStraX) on an annual basis. The program focuses on the professional development and continuing education of administrative staff, the learning and sharing of skills, and the gathering of international experience. The framework of this program is that the three universities host various themes on a rotational basis. The program started in 2022 at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, and will take place at Northwestern University in the U.S. in 2023. In 2024 Universität Hamburg will receive program participants.
Participants from university administration, whose area of work is related to the respective program topic offered, are welcome to apply. A new call for application is published every year.
2023 Program: Alumni Engagement and Development
In 2023, Northwestern University will provide a four-day program on the topic of alumni engagement and development (fundraising).
The program will address:
- how alumni relations and development are differentiated and how they intersect,
- different types of giving, such as annual or campaign, and how these relate to other types of philanthropy,
- the continuum of engagement, specifically how we move alumni and friends from early stages of engagement to committed major gifts,
- alumni associations and working with volunteers, and
- tools used for prospect research and overall alumni management.
Topics will be introduced alongside best-practice examples from Northwestern University, and will be further explored in joint discussions.
Other scheduled activities will include a walking tour of the Northwestern campus specifically focused on the philanthropy of the institution’s donors.
Participants will learn how to transfer the newly acquired knowledge to their own institutional culture, benefitting themselves, their colleagues and their home institution.