President of Universität Hamburg
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Dieter Lenzen
1. Term of office | 1 March 2010–29 February 2016
2. Term of office | 1 March 2016–28 February 2022
- University Strategy (Dept. 1)
- Communications and Public Relations (Dept. 2)
- International Affairs (Dept. 5)
- Professorial Appointments Unit
- Equal Opportunity Unit
- Legal Unit
- Academic staff development (in German only)
- University Anniversary Unit (in German only)
- History of the University
Jutta Kittler (-P111-)
Andrea Westphal (-P112-)
Mittelweg 177, Room N 5026
Tel: +49 40 42838-1807/1808
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Dieter Lenzen, born in 1947 in Münster, studied education, philosophy, as well as German, English, and Dutch philology at the Westphalian Wilhelms University Münster.
He completed his doctorate in 1973 and worked in the area of educational research for the State Ministry of Culture in North-Rhine Westphalia from 1973 to 1975. Between 1975 and 1977, Lenzen taught at the Westphalian Wilhelms University as Professor of Education.
From 1977 onwards, he was Professor of the Philosophy of Education at the Free University in Berlin. Since 1990, Lenzen has been on the board of the German Association for Educational Studies (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Erziehungswissenschaften), of which he was president from 1994 to 1998. Lenzen founded the Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft (Journal of Educational Studies) and is editor of the twelve-volume Enzyklopädie Erziehungswissenschaft (Encyclopedia of Education Studies). Between 1986 and 1994 Lenzen took up guest professorships at Stanford, Columbia, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagoya Universities.
He has led numerous projects in educational research and authored over 900 publications in his own areas of research.
Lenzen has headed up the education think-tank Aktionsrat Bildung since 2005. From 1999 to February 2010 he was a member of University Management at the Free University in Berlin, initially as executive vice president and, from 2003, as president. In November 2009, Lenzen was elected President of Universität Hamburg and took up office in March 2010.
Lenzen has also been council member in the European Universities Association since 2007 and was vice president of the German Rectors' Conference (Hochschulrektorenkonferenz) from 2007 to 2016. From 2017 to 2019 Lenzen was chair of Hamburg's State Higher Education Conference, as he was from 2013 to 2015.
- Opening of the 2019 Global University Leaders’ Council (PDF)
(05.06.2019, Universität Hamburg)
- Welcoming speech to open the European Conference on Educational Research (ECER) (PDF)
(September 2019, Universität Hamburg)
- Rede anlässlich der Immatrikulationsfeier (PDF)
(12.10.2016, Universität Hamburg)
- Rede anlässlich des Dies Academicus (PDF)
(02.06.2015, Universität Hamburg)
- Rede anlässlich des Dies Academicus (PDF)
(04.11.2014, Universität Hamburg)
- Rede anlässlich der Immatrikulationsfeier (enrollment ceremony speech)
(15 October 2014, Universität Hamburg) (PDF, in German only)
- Grußwort zur Auftaktveranstaltung des Forschungsprojektes „Religion und Dialog in modernen Gesellschaften“ (welcome speech)
(6 February 2014, Universität Hamburg) (PDF, in German only)
- Begrüßung zum „Tag des Wissens“ im Rahmen des Evangelischen Kirchentags (welcome speech) (German Evangelical Church Assembly in Hamburg, 4 October 2013, Universität Hamburg) (PDF, in German only)
- "Der Universität die Universität zurückgeben" (keynote address) (Dies Academicus, 23 April 2013, Universität Hamburg) (PDF, in German only)
- "Ranking, Rating – Steuerung und Motivation. Erfahrungen und Befunde zum Forschungsrating aus Sicht einer Universitätsleitung." (On academic rankings and ratings as tools for strategic management and communication) "Nationale Tagung zur Bedeutung des Forschungsratings als Instrument der strategischen Steuerung und Kommunikation," 21 September 2012, Bonn (PDF, in German only)
- "Lehrerbildung in Deutschland – Lost in Translation" (lecture) at "Plenarversammlung des Philosophischen Fakultätentages," (plenary session during faculties of philosophy week) Osnabrück University, 28 June 2012 (PDF, in German only)
- "Wie wollen wir in Hamburg studieren?" Welcome speech foDies Academicus "Bologna 2.0," 17 April 2012 (PDF, in German only)
- "Rankings sind Unfug" (interview). with the daily Tagesspiegel, 2 October 2012
- Rede (speech) for the enrollment ceremony, 11 October 2011 (PDF, in German only)
- Grußwort (welcome speech) on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the University Main Building, 13 May 2011 (PDF, in German only)
- Impulsreferat (keynote address) for the second ZEIT-Konferenz Hochschule & Bildung (Zeit conference on higher education), 9 July 2010 (PDF, in German only)
- Grußwort (welcome speech) for the opening of Universität Hamburg's Academy of World Religions, 23 June 2010 (PDF, in German only)
- Predigt (sermon) at St. Katharinen Church during the University church services, May 2010 (PDF, in German only)
- Rede (speech) on the occasion of the ceremonial laying of ten Stolpersteine (sidewalk plaques commemorating victims of National Socialism) in front of the Universität Hamburg's Main Building, 22 April 2010 (PDF, in German only)