Academic orientation for refugees
Information and advising for refugees interested in studying
The Center for Academic Advising offers several options to learn more about studying at Universität Hamburg.
Group advising for refugees on studying and applying
Refugees who are interested in studying at the University of Hamburg are welcome to attend our group advising sessions. After attending Session I and II, it is possible to visit us during our office hours to get individual counseling.
Group advising session I: entrance qualifications, recognition of qualifications & application
Learn all about studying in Germany and the necessary requirements. Furthermore, you will get to know the entrance qualifications at the University of Hamburg, how your certificates from abroad can be recognized and get information about the application process for international prospective students.
Group advising session II: study programs, demands of studying & how to choose a study program
After having attended Session I, you will be informed about the study programs offered by the University of Hamburg for a first academic degree (Bachelor and Staatsexamen). In addition to this, you will learn about details of the Study programs, the demands of studying and how to choose the right study program.
If you are interested in pursuing a master's degree, please attend the group advising session on master's degrees.
For details of the upcoming group advising sessions and to register, please see.
Drop-in office hours for refugees interested in studying
In Zoom, we will be available through the following links at the following times:
- Tuesday 1-3pm: https://uni-hamburg.zoom.us/j/96599374301
- Thursday 10am-12pm: https://uni-hamburg.zoom.us/j/96599374301
During our virtual office hours in Zoom, we offer individual one-to-one counselling. You will enter a waiting room first. We will call on you to enter the meeting room as soon as possible.
If you prefer contacting us via telephone, you can reach us Tuesdays between 13 and 15:00 as well as Thursdays between 10 and 12 :00 under +49 40 42838 8900.
#UHHhilft: academic orientation for refugees
The #UHHhilft program allows refugees interested in studying to familiarize themselves with Universität Hamburg over a longer period of one to two semesters.
The #UHHhilft program offers information and advice on studying at Universität Hamburg and supports you at every stage of the application process.
You may attend lectures and different workshops, obtain a library pass, and participate in the University Sports program. The prerequisite to participate in this program is proficiency in German at a B1 level or higher.
After the completion of the #UHHhilft program, you can register for a placement test for German language classes. The minimum requirement is B2 level. The German classes are organized by the university and are free of charge.
The program is free. Please register in February for the summer semester (starts in April) and in August for the winter semester (starts in October). We recommend you drop by the #UHHhilft office in person to register.
For more information and details of the office hours and address, please see: www.uni-hamburg.de/uhhhilft.
Useful links on applying, studying, and advising
- Information for international prospective students
- Recognition of foreign education qualifications by uni-assist to apply to Universität Hamburg
- Information on proof of German language proficiency to apply to degree programs offered in German
- Overview of all degree programs offered at Universität Hamburg
- Study orientation offers at Universität Hamburg:
- Group advising sessions for prospective students
- Uni Live!—course catalog for prospective students
- Lecture series for all prospective students: The Hows and Whys of Studying
- Lecture2go: videos with talks and lectures
- Information on the TestAS academic aptitude test
- Studienkolleg Hamburg
- Preparing to study: the pre-semester preparatory course in Hamburg
Studies and programs for refugees at other higher education institutions in Hamburg
- Study offers at other higher education institutions in Hamburg:
- Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW)
- HafenCity University Hamburg (HCU)
- Programs for refugees at other higher education institutions:
Financing your studies
- Studierendenwerk advisory service on financing your studies
- The official job portal for Hamburg’s higher education institutions: Stellenwerk
- DAAD scholarship database
- Other funding database: e-fellows
- Deutsche Universitätsstiftung: “Welcome für Flüchtlinge” scholarship program
- Refugee scholarship program established by Bread for the World
- Garantiefonds Hochschule (Higher education guarantee fund) of the Otto-Benecke Stiftung
- Hochform: funding for academics with refugee status from the Walter Blüchert Stiftung
- Horizonte: scholarships for teachers in training with an immigrant background offered by the Claussen-Simon Foundation
- Legal advice on residency rights for refugees: Refugee Law Clinic
- Academic advising: Garantiefonds Hochschule (Higher education guarantee fund)
- Anabin: database of foreign school and higher education qualifications
- uni-assist: review of foreign school and higher education qualifications and grade conversion
- All information on the TestAS for Refugees academic aptitude test
- Higher Education Compass: degree programs and higher education institutions in Germany
- Study in Germany: information for refugees
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD): programs for refugees