Languages and Cultures of Southeast-Asia
Qualification: Master of Arts
Duration: 4 semesters
Teaching language: English
Program start: winter semester and summer semester, Important semester dates
Application period: s. below
Admission restrictions: no
Tuition Fees: none, but Semester contribution
The Master of Arts in the Languages and Cultures of Southeast Asia focuses on the languages, cultures, history, and societies of an important, culturally diverse region currently undergoing rapid development. The program offers three areas of concentration: Austronesian Studies (Indonesian and Malaysian Studies), Thai Studies, and Vietnamese Studies. All three areas are closely related to the Asien-Afrika-Institut's major fields of research, such as manuscript cultures, modern literature, and history, religion and society. In addition to these, the mandatory module Southeast Asian Studies: Theories and Methods introduces students to cutting-edge research methods and international academic discourse. A semester abroad at a partner university within Europe (including Paris, Leiden, Warsaw, Neapal), or in Southeast Asia (including the Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarta, Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok and Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City) is an integral part of the program.
The master's program prepares students to pursue academic careers (in research) or careers outside of academia (e.g., in international organizations). Graduates are also qualified to pursue a doctorate in Southeast Asian studies.
Courses are organized according to area of concentration - Austronesian studies, Thai studies or Vietnamese studies. There are two mandatory modules, however, which focus on each area of concentration respectively:
- Southeast Asian Languages and Literatures
- Southeast Asian History and Society
Which module you take in the first and which in the second semester depends upon which semester, summer or winter, you commence studies. Students spend their third semester abroad and devote the fourth semester to a master’s thesis.
More information... (PDF)
Additional information on degree program
- MA Programs of the Asien-Afrika-Institut
- Department Languages and Cultures of Southeast Asia
Departmental regulations / Degree program regulations
Information on studying at Universität Hamburg
General admission requirements for all master’s degree programs:
Proof of first degree, language proficiency
Further details ...
Special admission requirements for this degree program:
Applicants to the master’s program must meet the following criteria:
- They must have a university degree (bachelor's, master's, or Staatsexamen) from a Southeast Asian studies program.
- Alternatively, they must prove that they have successfully completed courses in Southeast Asian linguistics, literature, history, society, and religion.
- Depending upon area of concentration, applicants must submit proof of language skills in Bahasa Indonesia (for Indonesian or Malaysian Studies), Thai (Thai Studies), or Vietnamese (Vietnamese Studies).
- Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of English.
Applying / Application procedure
General academic advising
Indonesian and Malay Studies:
Prof. Dr. Jan van der Putten
Prof. Dr. Volker Grabowsky
Prof. Dr. Jörg Thomas Engelbert
19. Jul. 2021