[Latin American Studies]
Qualification: Master of Arts
Faculty: Business, Economics and Social Sciences; Humanities; Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences
Duration: 4 semesters
Teaching language: German
Program start: winter semester, Important semester dates
Application period: 01.06. to 15.07.
Admission restrictions: yes
Tuition Fees: none, but Semester contribution
The MA in Latin American Studies is an interdisciplinary program bringing together the disciplines of ethnology, geography, history, political science, and Romance studies. Throughout the program in Hamburg and during the third semester spent abroad, students develop their Spanish and Portuguese language skills and acquire an in-depth knowledge of both Latin America and current research on the region. The program's interdisciplinary approach provides students with a thorough appreciation of methods and theories applied in the participating disciplines.
Students have the opportunity to specialize within the four profile areas in the required elective area: (1) geography, society, politics, (2) history and ancient American studies / social and cultural anthropology, (3) language and literature, or (4) language practice (Spanish or Portuguese). By the end of the program students should be in a position to apply the methods used within the disciplines independently in order to evaluate complex issues in current research and produce academic knowledge.
Graduates acquire intercultural skills that qualify them for working in areas requiring an in-depth knowledge of Latin America (e.g., economics, public administration, the media). The program also prepares students for careers in academic research or education.
The program consists of two areas:
- A required area, in which students complete modules on (1) introduction to Latin American studies and (2) intercultural skills.
- A required elective area, divided into the four specialist areas:
- geography, society, politics
- ancient American studies / social and cultural anthropology
- language and literature
- language practice (Spanish or Portuguese)
- Introductory phase (Semester 1): consisting of the required area and two of the three required elective areas from the chosen specialization
- Intermediate phase (Semester 2): consisting of two of the three required elective modules from the chosen specialization in addition to one of the two language practice required elective modules
- Semester abroad (Semester 3): compulsory semester abroad at a partner university in Latin America, Spain, or Portugal
- Final semester (Semester 4): final module and master’s thesis
Additional information on degree program
Departmental regulations / Degree program regulations
Information on studying at Universität Hamburg
General admission requirements for all master’s degree programs:
Proof of first degree, language proficiency
Further details ...
Special admission requirements for this degree program:
- a university degree
- proof of proficiency in Portuguese or Spanish
- proof of proficiency in English
Applying / Application procedure
Application information (PDF)
General academic advising
Studienbüro Lateinamerika-Studien (Academic Office for Latin American Studies) (German)
30. Nov. 2022