Kriminologie (berufsbegleitender Weiterbildungsmaster)
[Professional MA in Criminology]
Qualification: Master of Arts
Faculty: Business, Economics and Social Sciences
Duration: 3 semesters
Teaching language: German
Program start: winter semester, Important semester dates
Application period: s. below
Admission restrictions: yes
Tuition Fees: 3.370 Euro for the entire program, plus Semester contribution
The Professional MA in Criminology allows professionals working in criminology-related areas to obtain a master’s degree in criminology. The program provides academic qualification required for managerial roles dealing with deviance and crime in practice. It builds on the first degree and subsequently acquired professional experience in the field, deepens basic knowledge gained at first-degree level, adds an interdisciplinary dimension, and facilitates application of the lessons drawn from practical experience to the field of criminology.
Graduates gain a dual qualification in both criminology and, depending on their background, in sociology, law, social pedagogy, etc. This allows them to broaden their horizons and facilitates work at the interface between other criminology-related areas.
The program consists of an introductory week, followed by consecutively scheduled modules. Each module begins with a two-day weekend attendance class, after which there is an e-learning phase lasting several weeks. The program comprises a total of nine modules, plus the master’s thesis, which students write in Semester 3.
- Semester 1
- Module 1a: Introduction to the program structure
- Module 1b: Introduction to criminology
- Workshop: Academic writing
- Module 2: Theories in criminology
- Module 3: Research methods in criminology
- Module 4: Sociology of criminal law
- Semester 2
- Module 9: Master’s thesis colloquium
- Module 5: Control records / fear of crime
- Module 6: Control policy I—policing
- Module 7: Control policy II—criminal justice / penal system
- Module 8: Alternative reactions
- Semester 3
- Final thesis
Additional information on degree program
Information on studying at Universität Hamburg
- A degree in sociology, psychology, law, or another relevant subject. (Regular period of study of at least eight semesters, 240 credits. If the period of study is shorter, equivalent achievements must compensate for the lacking credits.)
- At least one year of professional experience in a relevant field (police, judiciary, social work, etc.) gained no longer than six months ago.
Applying / Application procedure
General academic advising
Studiengangskoordination und Studienfachberatung
For questions about the application process:
Institut für Weiterbildung e.V.
an der Fakultät Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften der Universität Hamburg
17. Mai 2022