Versicherungsrecht (Insurance Law)
Qualification: Master of Laws
Duration: 3 semesters
Teaching language: German/English
Program start: winter semester, Important semester dates
Application period: s. below
Admission restrictions: yes
Tuition Fees: 9.500 or 10.400 Euro for the entire program.
Practical consultation matters are often given short shrift in law programs. This is why the master's program in insurance law, which students can take while continuing to work and which focuses on private insurance law, places special emphasis on this subject. Besides general insurance contract law, the program covers all key aspects of insurance law such as personal, property and liability insurance. As a harbor city, maritime insurance and international insurance law (particularly English law) play an especially large role in Hamburg.
This program imparts special skills enabling graduates to acquire the title "Attorney for Insurance Law" in accordance with the "Fachanwaltsordnung".
Students are required to complete twelve modules in three semesters as well as to write a master's thesis. Subject areas include:
- general insurance contract law
- life insurance law
- international insurance law
Once a month, seminars are offered in block courses which take place three days a week (generally from Thursday through Saturday). Courses offered by cooperating practitioners supplement every module, thereby strengthening practical skills.
Additional information on degree program
Information on studying at Universität Hamburg
Applicants to the program must fulfill the following requirements:
- They must have a first degree in law (at least a bachelor's degree or First Law Exam, Diplom or master's) and a minimum of one year of professional experience.
- Graduates of business administration or related programs with a clear focus on law or insurance law may also apply if they can demonstrate sufficient knowledge of private law.
- In some cases, applicants can demonstrate relevant knowledge by submitting proof of professional experience. Applicants must, however, have a university degree.
Applying / Application procedure
The application deadline is 31 July every year.
Upon request, places that are not filled can be awarded at a later date.
The fees can be reduced if you register by 31 May.
General academic advising
Fakultät für Rechtswissenschaft
Seminar für Versicherungswissenschaft
19. Jul. 2021