The COVID19 funding line in the Department of International Affairs aims to support international collaboration in research, awareness and the fight against COVID19 as well as its effects. Scientists and scholars from Universität Hamburg can swiftly apply for funding.
| Target group: scientists and scholars from Universität Hamburg
| Program objectives: support international collaboration in research, awareness and the fight against COVID19 and its effects
| Funding: generally up to EUR 15,000; if more funding is required, plese contact the Department of International Affairs, Section 51 before applying
| Application period: open, until the depletion of funds
Information on how to apply
We recommend consulting the Department of International Affairs, Section 51, at Universität Hamburg prior to starting the application process. Afterwards, please send the completed application form (PDF) to your contact at the Department of International Affairs (contacts listed in application form).
Application deadline: 1. Ongoing; ends when funding is depleted; 2. Applications must be submitted before the envisioned activity takes place.
Restrictions: only 1 funding grant per person per budgetary year
Selection: Applications are reviewed and selected by the executive university board on a monthly basis.
- applicant must be employed at Universität Hamburg
- project/ activity is connected to COVID19
- project/ activity is in collaboration with an international partner
The following selection criteria will be considered in the final decision. They focus especially on sustainable cooperation:
- project/ activity is conducted with an international partner
- project/ activity contributes to research, awareness and the fight against COVID19
- project/ activity is feasible with current University instructions regarding COVID19 in place, including the general ban on both domestic and international work-related traffic
Export control, academic freedom, and in-depth review procedure
The Department of International Affairs helps Universität Hamburg researchers by minimizing the risk of and providing a sound basis for international cooperation. In 2020, Universität Hamburg’s Executive University Board resolved to establish a review process for international cooperation. The University Administration will review funding applications and cooperation agreements with international partners with regard to the upholding of academic freedom and the requirements of the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA). If cooperation topics are relevant to further control rights issues, and if the cooperating institution is located in a country that the Academic Freedom Index (AFI) has listed as restricting academic freedom, an in-depth review procedure will be initiated. Both the first and the in-depth review will be conducted within strictly defined parameters.
Further funding criteria include compliance with all essential application requirements (see “Applying”) and the availability of funding.
- Not limited; University's instructions regarding COVID19 apply, including the general ban on both domestic and international work-related traffic
- Expenses should, if applicable, follow guidelines comparable to funding amounts set forth by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- Maximum funding amount: generally EUR 15,000 per application
Expense claims (academic staff Universität Hamburg):
- Applicant handles funding in agreement with the Department of International Affairs.
Claims and report:
- Applicants must submit a detailed expense claim for the funding as well as a report (Word document) within 6 weeks of the end of the project/activity. Submit these to the Department of International Affairs.