Researchers at Risk
Universität Hamburg wants to assist researchers at risk in continuing their research career. As a founding member of the German chapter of Scholars at Risk, Universität Hamburg has a particular obligation to support researchers at risk and to promote academic freedom.
The focus here is on academic collaboration and networking, as well as taking personal responsibility to provide collegial support in the field of research for researchers suffering persecution and oppression.
The following pages provide an overview of the various funding opportunities available at Universität Hamburg, as well as information for supervising academic staff.
Current calls for application
The Hamburg Programme for Scholars at Risk (HPSAR) is closed for applications until further notice.
- Agathe-Lasch-Coaching + divers: this call is open for all international researchers at Universität Hamburg. Information on how to apply can be found on the website of the Equal Opportunity Unit. Latest submission date is 31 January 2022.
- TWAS-COMSTECH Science in Exile Fellowship Programme for displaced and refugee scholars and scientists: the call is open for endangered scholars who can travel to Pakistan. For more information, see PhD Fellowships and Postdoctoral Fellowships. The application deadline is 28 January 2022.
External calls for application:
- Philipp Schwartz Initiative: Application deadline at Universität Hamburg is 11 February 2022.
- Researchers at risk can now apply for the Walter Benjamin Programme (DFG). Press release from 13 December 2021. Information on how to apply and submission dates are listed on the website.
- Bridge Scholarships Afghanistan (DAAD): Students, graduates, doctoral candidates and researchers of all disciplines are eligible to apply. Latest submission date is 31 January 2022. Further information and criteria are listed on the website.