Scholarships for Refugee Students from Ukraine
Through funds provided by the DAAD program “Zukunft Ukraine” as well as the Joachim Herz Foundation, Universität Hamburg fosters the academic education of Ukrainian students who have had to leave their home country due to the war.
The program aims to support Ukraine by making a sustainable, long-term contribution to the qualification of Ukrainian students at Universität Hamburg.
The scholarships are open to students and doctoral researchers who
- have enrolled in their subjects at Universität Hamburg during or after the 2022/23 winter semester and are pursuing an academic qualification (visiting students are not eligible),
- were in Ukraine until 24 February 2022 and
- have Ukrainian citizenship.
Exception: Citizens of other countries who receive subsidiary protection in Ukraine and meet the other requirements listed above are also eligible for funding.
Funding amount / funding duration
The maximum monthly funding sum is €931 for students of Bachelor, Master or Staatsexamen degree programs and €1200 for doctoral researchers. It is awarded for a period of 12 months.
An application is complete when it contains the following documents:
- letter of motivation: please use this form (PDF)
- Tabular curriculum vitae
- Certificate of your most recent academic qualification (e.g., bachelor’s degree certificate or higher education entrance certificate)—the certificate should state your final grade
- Copy of your residence permit
- Proof of enrollment
Submit your application documents by email to stipend-internationalstudent"AT"uni-hamburg.de before the application deadline. Send your application as a single PDF file.
Selection criteria and procedure
The primary selection criterion is the applicant’s social situation and need. In addition, notable academic accomplishments are taken into consideration.
The selection is made by a committee consisting of members of the faculties and the AStA (student council).