National Taiwan University — Hamburg
National Taiwan University (NTU) and Universität Hamburg collaborate closely since 1998 in research, teaching and university management. Together, both institutions have implemented joint programs, such as an annual summer school (since 2001) in Taipei, Taiwan and university-wide exchange programs for students and academics. With a long history of successful collaboration and flourishing exchange between both institutions National Taiwan University and Universität Hamburg have enterd into a strategic partnership.
| Applications by: 3 January 2020
| Exchange places: 2 per year
| Length of stay: up to 1 month
| Subject areas: all
| Qualification level: PhD student or higher, doctoral candidates may receive funding in exceptional cases
| Travel subsidies: up to EUR 1,025
Daten & Fakten
Application period: by 3 January 2020
Submission: Email your application documents to gero.hemker"AT"uni-hamburg.de
Qualification level: PhD student or higher, doctoral candidates may receive funding in exceptional cases
Subject areas: open to all
Required application documents:
- Project outline including the name of a contact at the partner university and period of stay (one-page maximum in English).
- Brief résumé, including the name of three publications relevant to the purpose of your stay (in English).
- Invitation from the contact person and/or proof of correspondence with the contact person at the partner university with reference to the planned research stay (email correspondence or letter of invitation).
- For doctoral candidates: supervisor’s approval.
Please include the following aspects in your application:
- impact of the research exchange on your research
- impact of research exchange on areas of potential / key research areas for Universität Hamburg
- relations to partner institution and its researchers in your areas of research
- inclusion of research experience in the proposed project
- impact and benefits of the proposed stay to the partnership
Researchers of National Taiwan University who are interested in applying and participating in the exchange please contact the International Office at their home institution.
Export control, academic freedom, and in-depth review procedure
The Department of International Affairs helps Universität Hamburg researchers by minimizing the risk of and providing a sound basis for international cooperation. In 2020, Universität Hamburg’s Executive University Board resolved to establish a review process for international cooperation. The University Administration will review funding applications and cooperation agreements with international partners with regard to the upholding of academic freedom and the requirements of the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA). If cooperation topics are relevant to further control rights issues, and if the cooperating institution is located in a country that the Academic Freedom Index (AFI) has listed as restricting academic freedom, an in-depth review procedure will be initiated. Both the first and the in-depth review will be conducted within strictly defined parameters.
Universität Hamburg researchers participating in a Research Exchange will receive the following benefits:
- continuous remuneration during their stay at the partner institution (third-party financed academic must clarify this with their funding authority)
- subsidy (or equivalent) for accommodation and living costs paid by the partner institution
- Guests receive a monthly grant of approx. TWD 15,000 (around €414) For stays of less than 1 month: TWD 500 (approx. €13) per day. Accommodation is provided free of charge (water and electricity are included).
- travel subsidy paid by Universität Hamburg
We will shortlist applicants in January 2020. As a rule, we provide grants for two exchange places per partner university per year. If we cannot produce a shortlist after the application period ends but receive further applications from qualified candidates, we will review these on a “first-come, first-serve” basis.
After the completion of the exchange, exchange participants are required to hand in a report.
Please follow the information for settling travel expenses (German only).