Conditions of participation & data privacy
This page contains an overview of our general terms and conditions for participation and the terms of privacy.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at sprachkurse"AT"uni-hamburg.de to Sandra Stolzki or contact Cordula Koning, Ewa Wohlrab, Alexander Krussig (information on German courses) directly. They hold regular office hours on the main campus, Von-Melle-Park 5, room 3055.
Office hours(no personal consultation at present):
- Semester: Tue 1–3 pm, Thu 11 am–1 pm
- Semester break: Tue 2–3 pm, Thu 11-12 am
- information on German courses: Wed 12-4 pm
- There is a fee for language courses offered by General Languages.
- Registration is binding, non-transferable and can only be done online during the listed registration periods. Fields marked with a (*) are mandatory and must be filled out.
- You will receive an email response shortly after you apply confirming that your application has been submitted.
- Places (22 students - exception DGS: max. 18) are offered according to the following criteria:
1. Courses for beginners (levels I, I/1, A1, A1/1 and L1): According to the time of receipt of the registration form and upon review of all documents (current semester certificates).
2. Courses for advanced students (from levels A1/2, I/2): A lottery procedure upon review of all documents (current semester certificates, placement test certificate, or proof of previous language course). Please note that documents may not be older than twelve months.
- The confirmation that you may participate will be sent three days before the course begins. This includes the registration acknowledgement and invoice. Information about waiting lists and rejections will be also sent at this time.
- Applicants may only apply for more than one course per registration period with consent from the managing director. Please fill out the Bemerkungsfield (comments) in the online registration form by adding, for example, "Priority: Semester abroad." (Please include proof!)
- Participants may only change courses with the agreement of the managing director.
- Courses take place if at least fifteen students register.
Course fee_Conditions of payment
- Fees are based on a participant's status at the time of registration.
- The course fee will be exclusively collected by SEPA Direct Debit (SDD) mandate.
- If classes start between the 1st and 15th of the month your account will be debited with the fee via SDD on the 8th of the following month. If classes start between the 16th and the end of month your account will be debited with the fee via SDD on the 23rd of the following month.
- Upon request, students can pay in installments for courses with fees of EUR 65 or more.
- Any costs which accrue as a result of insufficient funds, erroneous account information, or direct debit recall will be automatically debited from the account in a subsequent debit procedure.
- Students may cancel up to three days before the start of the course. Cancellations must be submitted in writing to sprachkurse-hochschule"AT"vhs-hamburg.de or about our contact form. It is not sufficient to notify the instructor that you are withdrawing.
- Students who withdraw after the course begins may only receive a refund (and in some cases only a partial refund) in the following cases:
1. confirmation by responsible physician of illness or other extenuating circumstances
2. proof that your course schedule has been altered
- Non-appearance does not constitute withdrawal.
The General Languages Team places great value on data privacy when collecting and using data by visitors to the website. We collect and use inventory data and voluntary information exclusively to optimize our services. Your email address may only be used upon your approval. Data is not forwarded to third parties.