Central Exchange Incomings
Welcome to Hamburg!
Universität Hamburg is the largest institution for research and education in the northern Germany. As one of the country's largest universities, we offer a diverse course spectrum and excellent research opportunities. The University boasts numerous interdisciplinary projects in a broad range of subjects and an extensive partner network with leading institutions on a regional, national and international scale.
Universität Hamburg offers approximately 170 degree programs in the following 8 faculties: Law; Business, Economics and Social Sciences; Medicine; Education; Humanities; Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences; Psychology and Human Movement Science; Business Administration (Hamburg Business School).
Besides Climate, Earth, Environment, further successful key research areas include: Photon and Nanosciences, Manuscript Cultures, Neurosciences, Infection Research / Structural Systems Biology, Particle Physics, Astrophysics and Mathematical Physics, and Health Economics.
Our campus is located in one of Germany's most beautiful cities, and also it’s youngest: no German city has a younger population than Hamburg. There is always something going on, so you won't be bored when class gets out. Hamburg is also known as the "city on the water," which is exactly what it is. The Alster Lake, the Elbe River, and the harbor contribute to the city's distinctive maritime flair. Extensive parks and greenery close to the University provide numerous opportunities for relaxation. The Elbe beaches offer perfect party locations. Theater, opera, musicals, movies, festivals, museums, galleries: the culturally-inclined can discover all kinds of things in Hamburg, often enjoying student discounts. Hamburg is a safe city. Its districts reflect its multifaceted character. Sankt Pauli, home to the red-light district, Jungfernstieg, and the city hall are famous landmarks in the center of the city. The Grindel district houses the University and boasts a multitude of cafés and the new Hafen City and the Elbe Philharmonic are also worth exploring.
If you are studying at a partner university of Universität Hamburg, we invite you to come to Hamburg as an exchange student and spend one or two semesters at our university!
Which universities are partners in the central exchange program?
- Universiteit Stellenbosch
- Johns Hopkins University
- Smith College
- Temple University
- Universidad de Guadalajara
- University of Calgary
- University of California Berkeley
- University of Connecticut
- University of Kansas
- University of Toronto
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- Universidade de São Paulo
- Universidad de Chile
- Chulalongkorn University
- East China Normal University
- Ewha Womans University
- Fudan University
- Kyoto University
- Kyungpook National University
- National Sun Yat-Sen University
- National Taiwan University
- Osaka University
- OP Jindal Global University
- Peking University
- Saitama University
- Seoul National University
- Universitas Airlangga
- University of Seoul
- University of Tsukuba
- Waseda University
- Yonsei University
- Saint Petersburg State University (currently suspended)
- University of Leeds
- Univerzita Karlova
- Macquarie University
Requirements for the central exchange program
You can participate in the central exchange program if you are enrolled at a partner university of Universität Hamburg. Please note that we require proof of German level B1 CEFR (B2 CEFR is recommended); For courses in English, students must provide proof of their English language proficiency (level B2 CEFR). English taught courses are mostly offered at graduate level. If undergraduate students plan on taking courses in English, please contact us before nomination unless you can easily find sufficient courses in the previous year’s list corresponding to the semester the student wishes to attend (summer/winter). You can find these lists below under: Useful links for planning your courses.
Program and course restrictions: dentistry and pharmacy are not open for exchange students. The Faculty of Medicine is open only for exchange students who have completed at least 3 years of studies prior to the exchange and who provide proof of German language proficiency (level B2 CEFR).
How to apply for the central exchange program
If you plan to do an exchange as part of the central exchange program, it is not possible to apply directly to Universität Hamburg; you need to be officially nominated by the International Office of your home university. Contact the office responsible for foreign exchange programs at your home university for more information.
Following the official nomination by your home university, provide us with the following application documents:
- statement of motivation in either German or English
- CV in German or English
- proof of language skills: language skills must be sufficient to enable you to study in German (min. B1 CEFR). Graduate level only: For courses in English, graduate students must provide proof of their English language proficiency (level B2 CEFR).
- transcript of records: official list of academic achievements in German or English
- references: 2 academic references by university staff members in German or English
- preliminary course plan for your exchange period at Universität Hamburg in German or English
- passport copy
Application documents must be submitted by 1 November for admission to the summer semester and 1 May for admission to the winter semester. You will be informed by the end of May/by the end of November if your application was accepted.
What happens after you have been accepted to Universität Hamburg within the central exchange program?
Your program coordinator at Universität Hamburg will send an invitation letter and provide you with information about the most important steps to take before arriving in Hamburg (application for a room in a student residence hall, online registration, visa application, health insurance, German language courses, etc.). In time, you will also be contacted by the exchange coordinator of your host faculty at Universität Hamburg with information about course selection, orientation sessions, buddy programs, etc. You can also find general information in the brochure To-Dos for new students (PDF).
Useful links for planning your courses
- list of courses in English in the Winter Semester 2023/24 (XLSX) - sortable
- list of courses in English in the Summer Semester 2023 (XLSX) - sortable
- academic calendar with important semester dates
- online course catalog of Universität Hamburg (Please note: although course information is provided in English, most courses are taught in German. Check the language of instruction!)
- German language courses at Universität Hamburg