Global Classroom: Hamburg-Indiana
The Global Classroom initiative, developed by Indiana University, is a virtual mobility program that fosters international teaching and learning while at home. Instructors can apply for funding when they plan to offer a virtual collaborative student-based project connecting two complementary courses offered at Universität Hamburg and Indiana University.
This initative aims to provide students with an opportunity to gain international experience, learn and communicate in a digital international environment, and discover other cultural perspectives and norms.
| Pre-application: Contact Jan Frömming about full applications.
| Applications: developed jointly by IU and Universität Hamburg faculty; submission by IU faculty to IU Global
| Application deadline: 15 October 2023
| Teaching format: virtual collaborative student-based project connected through two complementary courses at Universität Hamburg and IU
| Timeframe of project: flexible in academic year 2023/24+
| Subject areas: all
| Eligibility: full-time academic appointees at Universität Hamurg (postdoc or higher)
| Funding: Universität Hamburg will match IU funding for up to € 3,000; Universität Hamburg's financial regulations apply
Information on how to apply
Step 1 | Pre-Application contact Jan Frömming to discuss full application
Step 2 | Development of joint proposal with IU faculty
Step 2 | Full applications must be submitted by IU faculty to the responsible IU office (IU Global) until 15 October 2023
Key requirement for Universität Hamburg applicants:
- applicant must be employed as a full-time academic appointee by Universität Hamburg; postdoc or higher
For infromation on all application requirements, please visit the official IU Global Classroom website.
The Global Classroom initiative takes a class that is being taught or in the planning of being taught at Universität Hamburg and pairs it with a complmentary course at Indiana University. Faculty of both institutions will continue to teach their respective course independently, but will collaborate with their counterparts to design a project that requires students from both institutions to work together. That work will take place virtually. Significant student-to-student interaction is required throughout the duration of the course.
The initiative is open to all topics.
For sample projects please visit the IU Global Classroom website.
In general, Universität Hamburg will match IU funding of up to EUR 3,000 for UHH faculty members in case of successful application. Universität Hamburg reserves the right not to co-fund IU-funded projects and vice versa.
- Project-related travel
- Educational resources, materials, licenses
- Other costs incurred in implementing and delivering the course
- Subsequent project in relation to the Global Classroom
- As a general rule, funding cannot be spent for personnel costs (student employees / assistants, tutors, increasing existing positions in the academic staff). Likewise, approved funds can in general not be taken to other universities (e.g. if the employment relationship changes)
- Maximum funding amount: generally up to EUR 3,000 per application
Expense claims, reporting:
- UHH applicant handles funding in agreement with the Department of International Affairs at UHH
- Financial regulations at Universität Hamburg apply and matching funds may differ due to these regulations.
- Funding for travel on the part of UHH faculty must be claimed as work-related travel
- UHH applicants must submit a detailed expense claim for the funding as well as a report (Word document) within 6 weeks of the end of the Global Classroom project. Submit these to the Department of International Affairs
Applications are evaluated by officials at Indiana University. In case of positive evaluation by IU, officials from Universität Hamburg will do a follow up review.
For evaluation criteria please see the IU Global Classroom website.