Diversity at Universität Hamburg
Universität Hamburg recognizes the diversity of its students and employees and is committed to fostering equal opportunity and reducing discrimination. Diversity and individuality are seen as potential resources and sources of enrichment for the entire University.
The Equal Opportunity Unit monitors diversity at the University.
Milestones in diversity
- 2008: Signing of the Charta der Vielfalt (Diversity Charter).
- 2009: First university-wide diversity workshop and introduction of the Zertifikat Intersektionalität & Diversity (Certificate of Intersectionality and Diversity) for students.
- Since 2010 diversity has been incorporated under equity and heterogeneity into the reform process at Universität Hamburg, Annual reports of the Executive University Board
- 2011: Participation in the project “Diskriminierungsfreie Hochschule” (“Discrimination-Free Higher Education Institution,” PDF).
- 2012: Diversity Round Table established; Complaints Office (pursuant to the AGG) founded.
- 2016: Inaugural award of the Equal Opportunity Prize for gender and diversity projects.
Diversity is a topic that is relevant for every field and should therefore be a part of all assignments and areas of the University. The diversity policy addresses both students and staff at Universität Hamburg.
The Hamburg Higher Education Act (HmbHG) specifies that higher education institutions must ensure a discrimination-free environment for studying and for professional or academic work. The goal is to reduce any existing discrimination and develop a policy for constructively dealing with differences (diversity management) (Section 3 subsection 4 HmbHG).
There the University has developed a diversity policy which identifies existing programs and events in the area of diversity, analyzes needs, and adresses them with specific measures.
The so called Diversity-Concept is available in German.