Staying in touch—maintaining workplace ties
Universität Hamburg helps you balance work and family by fostering continued workplace ties ("loyalty management") when you take leave after the birth of a child, in order to provide nursing care, or for other familial reasons.
Loyalty management includes:
- preparing well for the period of leave
- actively nurturing strong ties to the University
- carefully planning your return
Before you go on leave
Speaking to your supervisor
Apply with the personnel office and clarify
During and after leave of absence
- Apply for an extension or part-time employment following your return to work in written format in good time before your leave of absence ends (approximately 3 to 6 months before the end of your leave).
- Clarify and make use of options for professional development and qualification (e.g., via HR Development).
- Contact your supervisor in a timely manner in order to coordinate your return to work.
- Plan the introductory phase.
- Explore options for part-time work, maintaining a home office, or alternating telework.
- Coordinate with your supervisor to determine whether or not internal workflow procedures are compatible with family needs or if they can be adapted as necessary.