German Centres for Research and Innovation events funding line
The Department of International Affairs is lending financial and organizational support for scietific events in Brazil, Japan and the USA. Events must be co-organized with the German Centres for Research and Innovation (Deutsche Wissenschafts- und Innovationshäuser, DWIH) and should include international partners. The events are intended to increase the visibility of Universität Hamburg’s research and overall profile in North America and to contribute to forstering and expanding Universität Hamburg's international partner network.
| Target group: senior scientists and scholars from Universität Hamburg
| Possible formats: conference, lecture, panel, round table, syposium, workshop
| Funding: up to EUR 10.000 for travel and living expenses for up to 5 participants; welcome dinner, catering, other expenses
| Further activities: organization by the Department of International Affairs and the respective DWIH
| Application: If you are interested in taking over the academic lead for an event, please contact the respective coordinator (s. right).
Partner universities eligible for funding
Active participation of at least 1 person from the following partner universities
Participation from following partner universities desired
Scientists and scholars from other partner institutions and/or important research contacts for the event’s topic can also be involved and receive funding.
Information on how to apply
We recommend consulting the Deaprtment of International Affairs at Universität Hamburg prior to starting the application process. Afterwards, please send the completed preliminary application form (English-language PDF) to your contact person in the Department of International Affairs (see right).
Application deadline: 1 February (annually)
Requirements for the preliminary application:
- The applicant is a professor at Universität Hamburg.
- The event must be held in the same year the application is submitted.
- At least 2 people from the partner institution eligible for funding must take part (see above).
- At least 1 person and a maximum of 2 people from Universität Hamburg are taking part.
- Funding is available for a total of 5 people.
- Applicant must oversee academic coordination (queries and invitation to spokespeople at partner institutions; event topic and format in agreement with moderator).
- This application is preliminary.
- If it is successful, the Department of International Affairs and the academic coordinator will develop a final application (3 pages) to submit to GCRI New York.
- The workload for the final application is minimal. The applicant only needs to prepare 2 short texts (up to 250 words). The Department of International Affairs will submit the application to the GCRI.
- The GCRI New York program committee will decide upon the final application.
- Funding will be allocated by the Department of International Affairs only if the GCRI program committee accepts the final application.
The following selection criteria will be considered in the final decision. They focus especially on sustainable cooperation.
- strengthening contact to participating partner universities
- project’s short- and long-term impact on partner institutions’ academic cooperation
- inclusion of new scientists and scholars in existing cooperation
- aptness of event topic and “annual topics” of GCRI New York’s (link)
- participant diversity
Further criteria include compliance with all application requirements (see “Applying”) and the availability of funding.
The Department of International Affairs lends organizational support to the planning and realization of the event. If funding is granted, there are further obligations to be observed.
- travel and living expenses for up to 5 people taking an active part in the event (e.g., panelists, moderators); at least 1, at most 2 people are members of Universität Hamburg
- welcome dinner, catering, other event expenses
- maximum total funding amount: up to €8,000
- maximum funding period: generally 3 days / 2 nights per funded participant
Expense claims (academic staff Universität Hamburg)
- Travel expenses for Universität Hamburg staff will be handled by the Work-Related Travel Team in accordance with the work-related travel regulation.
Expense claims (academic staff of partner institutions)
- international transfer, approx. 4 weeks prior to the start of the event by the Department of International Affairs
Expense claims (further expenses):
- Expense claim documents should be sent to the Department of International Affairs (see right for contact).
Watch our latest DWIH event „The Fight for Climate Justice”
Export control, academic freedom, and in-depth review procedure
The Department of International Affairs helps Universität Hamburg researchers by minimizing the risk of and providing a sound basis for international cooperation. In 2020, Universität Hamburg’s Executive University Board resolved to establish a review process for international cooperation. The University Administration will review funding applications and cooperation agreements with international partners with regard to the upholding of academic freedom and the requirements of the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA). If cooperation topics are relevant to further control rights issues, and if the cooperating institution is located in a country that the Academic Freedom Index (AFI) has listed as restricting academic freedom, an in-depth review procedure will be initiated. Both the first and the in-depth review will be conducted within strictly defined parameters.