Core Research Area Photon and Nanosciences
Photon and Nanosciences integrates a broad spectrum of successful projects investigating questions in basic research.
Topics range from magnetism, laser and quantum physics, and nanochemistry to biophysical problems such as the decoding of molecules using ultrafast lasers and cutting-edge radiation sources at the research campus in Hamburg-Bahrenfeld.
The areas of application for basic research in these fields are diverse. Research with laser rays has enabled us to develop precision medical technologies such as laser scalpels for surgery or new types of hard disk and storage media. Research into nanoparticles opens up new therapeutic approaches in medicine.
This core research area is part of an extensive network and has been successful in acquiring interdisciplinary projects in which the University works together with external partner institutions: In addition to two collaborative research centers, since 2012 the area has developed a particular focus on the real-time observation of ultrafast processes in atoms and molecules through its excellence cluster The Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging (CUI). The goal of this research initiative is to decode the way in which molecular bonds develop and break, thus enabling us to use this knowledge to steer such mechanisms, for example, to generate complex biologically and medically relevant substances.
Participating faculties and research centers
- Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- The Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging (CUI)
- Center for Free-Electron Laser Science (CFEL)
- Centre for Structural Systems Biology (CSSB)
- Center for Optical Quantum Technologies (ZOQ)
- Center for Hybrid Nanostructures (CHyN)
Key programs and collaborative projects
- Cluster of excellence CUI: „Advanced Imaging of Matter“
- Cluster of excellence CUI (Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging)
- SFB 668 Magnetism from the Single Atom to the Nanostructure (project end: Dec. 2017)
- SFB 925 Light induced dynamics and control of correlated quantum systems
- SFB 986 Tailor-Made Multi-Scale Materials Systems (participation)
- ERC Frontiers in Attosecond X-ray Science: Imaging and Spectroscopy (AXSIS)
- ERC Frontiers in Quantum Materials’ Control (Q-MAC)
- International Max Planck Research School for Ultrafast Imaging & Structural Dynamics (IMPRS-UFAST)
- BMBF project Free-Electron Lasers (LoKoFEL) (in German only)
- BMBF project Time-resolved X-ray and electron spectroscopy with free-electron lasers (TREXES)
- BMBF project Hadamard-Kristallographie als Methode zur zeitauflösenden Untersuchung der Strukturdynamik von Biomolekülen (in German only)
- PIER Helmholtz Graduate School