9 March 2018, by Family Office
English-language work-family balance workshop on the International Day of Families, 15 May: “Wissenschaft und Familie erfolgreich vereinbaren” (in German) as part of Compass—Career Development Program for Young Researchers in cooperation with the Family Office
Conference in the morning, birthday party in the afternoon and a deadline for a paper at midnight: being a scientist/scholar and a parent can be quite challenging. In order to find satisfaction in both spheres, parents have to develop individual strategies. The workshop is designed to offer information, room for reflection, and exchange among participants. It provides an analysis of individual wishes and needs for combining parenting and being a scientist/scholar. On this basis, participants will learn to optimize their personal compatibility strategies. Carolin Steinat from the University's Family Office will make a short presentation of it´s services. The workshop is for researchers who are or would like to be parents.
The focal points of the workshop are:
- Compatibility: What is the situation in German academia, what is the situation internationally? Are there differences?
- Career: What does that mean to me? Individual values versus implicit norms?
- Communication: When and how to communicate family aspects in the professional setting?
- Techniques: Hints and tricks for time- and self-management
- Strategy: Which options for combining parenthood and academia are suitable for me?
Child care is available during the workshop. Please contact us in advance—we are happy to support you (Deadline: 13 April).
This workshop is hosted by Dept. 6: Human Resources, HR Development, and the Family Office of Universität Hamburg and will be held in English.
More information and application form here
Rooms N0065 + N0067 Mittelweg 177, 20148 Hamburg
Workshop leader: PD Dr. Tanja Meyer-Treschan
Target group: Doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers