Financing your studies
The most preferable option for financing your studies is to apply for funding in accordance with the German Federal Training and Assistance Act (BAföG).
Within the regular period of study, students eligible for BAföG receive half of their BAföG funding as a subsidy and the other half as an interest-free loan. Repayment of the loan commences upon completion of a degree and rates of repayment are dependent upon income.
For further information on BAföG requirements and applications, please visit the Amt für Ausbildungsförderung des Studierendenwerks Hamburg (Studierendenwerk student services BAföG office).
Irrespective of BAföG, students may take up a student loan to finance their studies. For additional information, please visit the homepage of the Federal Office of Administration (Bundesverwaltungsamt).
Scholarships and other funding options:
- Guide to undergraduate scholarships
- Guide to doctoral scholarships
- The pages of the Department of International Affairs provide information about scholarships for international students in Hamburg as well as information on scholarships for outgoing students.
- An overview of external foundations offering scholarships is available here (external link).
- For additional information about scholarships and other types of funding on offer, please consult the homepage of the Association of German Foundations.
Student jobs at Universität Hamburg
The University offers student employment in various areas. Most of our job offers, however, are reserved for enrolled students. Commonly advertized positions are those of:
- student assistants (academic or administrative staff)
- library assistants
- test persons for research projects in psychology or the social sciences