German language courses for students enrolled at Universität Hamburg
Courses in German as a foreign language (Summer Semester 2021)
Are you an international student who has moved to Hamburg to study at our University?
Most of our programs require you to have a good command of the German language so that you can follow classes, give oral presentations, and write term papers.
In the Summer Semester 2021 Universität Hamburg offers various opportunities for you to learn or brush up on your German.
Beginners: Pre-semester intensive preparatory courses at the Volkshochschule (VHS)
In cooperation with Universität Hamburg, the Volkshochschule Hamburg (adult education center) offers intensive language courses for beginners prior to the start of the semester. These classes are free of charge for students enrolled at Universität Hamburg. You must register for these courses online. The registration period is 8 March, 12 am - 17 March 2021, 12 am. Participants with prior knowledge of German who did not attend the initial course have to pass an online placement test for admission to the second course.
Please upload your test result during registration.
Further registration details and course dates are available here.
Intensive course dates for German as a foreign language (DaF):
22 –27 March 2021
Monday 4 pm - 6:50 pm, Tuesday to Friday 4 pm – 8 pm, Saturday 10 am–2 pm. Online class. Proficiency level: A1.1
22 – 27 March 2021
Monday to Friday 4:30 pm – 8:15 pm, Saturday 10 am–2 pm. Online class. Proficiency level: A1.2
Pre-semester intensive courses at the University Language Center (SZ) for levels B1 and above
The University Language Center offers intensive courses before the start of the semester. These language courses are free of charge for students enrolled at Universität Hamburg.
You are required to provide proof of your level of proficiency (e.g., Goethe-Zertifikat, telc certificate, TestDaF certificate, etc.) to register for the courses.
- You can supply the University Language Center front office with the relevant documentation by uploading a scanned copy as a PDF or JPEG via the contact form.
- If you do not possess adequate proof of language proficiency, you must take a placement test to determine your level of proficiency. A placement test to determine your level of proficiency takes place on the Friday before the start of the respective courses:
DaF placement test for intensive course in Summer Semester 2021:
- Friday, 12 March 2021, 12 noon, in Main building, Edmund- Siemens-Alle 1, Hörsaal B
- Friday, 19 March 2021, 3 pm, in Main building, Edmund- Siemens-Alle 1, Hörsaal B
Registration procedures for the DaF intensive course in Summer Semester 2021:
- If you already have a STiNE account, please register via STiNE directly. The STiNE general registration period runs from Monday 22.02.21, 09 am to Thursday, 11.03.21, 1 pm.
- If you do not have access to STiNE yet, please register via the following links:
DaF intensive-course offerings for Summer Semester 2021:
- 05-870 B1.1 (2-weeks):15.-19. und 22.-26. March, 10 am - 3 pm
- 05-872 B2.1 (2- weeks): 15.-19. und 22.-26. March, 10.15 am - 2.30 pm
- 05-871 B1 Interkulturelle Kompetenz/Kulturstudien „Moin Hamburg!“: 15.-19. March, 10 am – 3 pm
- 05-873 B2 Interkulturelle Kompetenz/Kulturstudien „So ticken die Deutschen“: 15.-19. March, 9 am -1.15 pm
- 05-874 B2 Interkulturelle Kompetenz/Kulturstudien „Deutschland aktuell“: 22.-26. March, 9 am -1.15 pm
- 05-875 B2/C1 Fit für die DSH (für DSH-Testkandidaten): 22.-26. March, 10 am - 3 pm
For an overview of the dates and courses on offer, consult our Course Plan (PDF).Further information about the courses offered and their venues is available in STiNE under “Extracurricular courses > University Language Center (SZ)” and on the University Language Center website.
Courses during the semester at the Volkshochschule VHS
In cooperation with Universität Hamburg, the VHS Hamburg offers German courses during the semester. These classes are free of charge for students enrolled at Universität Hamburg. You must register for these courses online during the designated registration period from 12 April, 12 pm until 21 April 2021, 12 pm. Participants with prior knowledge of German must pass a placement test in order to register for courses online. Participants will be placed in courses according to their level of proficiency. Course proficiency levels range from A1–A2.
27 April – 06 July 2021
Tuesdays 4–5:55 pm, online class, proficiency level A1.1
28 April – 07 July 2021
Wednesdays 4–5:55 pm, online class, proficiency level A1.2
27 April – 06 July 2021
Tuesdays 6:10–8:05 pm, online class, proficiency level A2.1
28 April – 07 July 2021
Wenesdays 6–7:55 pm, online class, proficiency level A2.2
Details on registration, placement test, and course dates will be published in August on the General Languages homepage.
Complementary courses at the University Language Center (SZ) during the semester
The University Language Center offers free courses in German as a foreign language for enrolled students and visiting international students (e.g., ERASMUS). Proficiency level ranges from B1 to C1. The placement test will take place online.
Thursday, 11.03.21, at 10 am or at 5 pm, local time Hamburg (CET)
Friday, 09.04.21, at 10 am, local time Hamburg (CET)
Online on the platform Zoom. You will find the link here.
Meeting-ID: 981 6214 8224
It is not necessary to register for the placement test.
You can register via STiNE during the official registration period, from Mon 22 February, 9 am, to Thu 11 March, 1 pm (random selection) or from Tue 06 April, 9 am, to Sat 10 April, 1 pm (first-come-first-served basis). Courses on offer are listed in STiNE under “Extracurriculare Veranstaltungen > Sprachenzentrum der Universität Hamburg”. For an overview of the course dates, consult our Course Plan (PDF). More information is available on the University Language Center homepage.
Important note for prospective students!
Prospective students who are required to take a language test or prove language proficiency in order to be admitted to the University, please click here.