Purpose of the DAAD Prize
Funded by the Federal Foreign Office, the €1,000 DAAD Prize is awarded each year to outstanding international students or doctoral researchers who have distinguished themselves both through their academic achievements and their social or intercultural commitment. The prize aims to demonstrate to a broad audience how enriching international students and doctoral researchers are for the higher education community.
Candidates for the DAAD Prize must be nominated by a university teacher at Universität Hamburg.
Submit nominations by 30 June to:
Funding for International Students and Graduates
Department of International Affairs
Nominees may be:
- international students and doctoral researchers enrolled in a program of study at Universität Hamburg (visiting and exchange students are not eligible for the prize)
- students in the advanced stages of a bachelor’s degree (at least the second or third year) or a master’s degree (at least the second year)
- recent graduates who will usually have completed their degrees no more than three months before the prize ceremony
- The DAAD Prize is not a research prize and is not intended as a reward for an outstanding doctoral thesis.
- The prize may not be awarded to the same person twice nor jointly awarded to more than one person.
- Nominees may not be awarded the DAAD Prize if they are not in Hamburg at the time of the prize ceremony.
The DAAD Prize winners are selected by a committee according to the following criteria:
- outstanding academic achievement
- noteworthy social and/or intercultural commitment
The prize is awarded by the president of Universität Hamburg in person during the Winter Semester enrollment ceremony.
Are DAAD Prize winners also eligible for other awards or funding?
Prize winners may also receive funding from another German organization, foundation, or corporation, or even from the DAAD itself. Where two nominees are considered equally deserving of the prize, the selection committee may give precedence to the candidate without additional funding.
Who can submit nominations for the DAAD Prize?
Nominations should be submitted by university teachers (professors or junior professors) at Universität Hamburg. Other teachers may also submit nominations—contact us for details.