Information Incoming Buddy
Incoming Buddies are all new students from abroad who will be studying at Universität Hamburg either as exchange students (e.g., Erasmus or central exchanges) or international students who, for example, will be completing their entire degree program or doctorate at the University. As an Incoming Buddy you will receive some guidance and orientation to settle in and to find your way around the university from a local student.
What can the Incoming Buddies expect?
Starting at the end of the semester (the beginning of August or the beginning of March), the Hamburg Buddies will be available to answer questions via email and then be in Hamburg at the beginning of the semester. Since the program is based on voluntary participation, the buddies can decide together how often they want to meet and what they want to do. Your buddy can also support you in the following ways:
- Pick you up from the train station / airport when you arrive in Hamburg.
- Help you to register your address at the registration office.
- Take you on a short city tour. Where are some of the most important things?
- Give you an initial tour of the University. Where can you find important University facilities such as the library, cafeteria, University Sports, Services for Students (SfS), and Regional Computing Center?
- Help you settle in—Hamburg nightlife, shopping options (e.g., farmers markets and flea markets), where to get an inexpensive bicycle, what doctors they would recommend.
- Provide you with contact persons for further questions and problems.
How do I apply?
International students who are new to Hamburg and are looking for a buddy can use the registration form for incoming buddies to apply.
We will enter your information into the system and try to match you with a buddy. Please understand that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to find a buddy for you.
Please note: Some faculties at Universität Hamburg have their own buddy program. Exchange students in these faculties should apply there directly:
How are the matches made?
The matches are made based on the studentsʼ field of study and similar interests. Unfortunately, we won’t always be able to match you with a buddy who has the language you requested! But we will, of course, make sure that you have a common language so that you can communicate.
What if we don’t get along? It is always possible that the match between two buddies just doesnʼt work. Don’t worry. This isn’t a problem. Just send us a short email so that we can match you up with a new buddy (if so desired).
FAQs—frequently asked questions
Do you have more questions about the Buddy Program?
Are there problems or difficulties with your buddy?
Would you like to tell us about your positive experiences with the Buddy Program?
Then please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org