Intercultural Awareness Training (de)
We need intercultural skills in our studies, on the job, and in daily life. If you move to a new location, get to know new groups, or your life situation changes – then you will likely be either directly or indirectly confronted with intercultural issues. But what are intercultural skills and why do we actually need them?
This workshop will examine what terms such as “culture” and “intercultural skills” actually mean. Using experience-based learning, we will discover, critically examine, and reflect upon our self-perception, alienation, and affiliations. We will develop our empathy and ability to see things from another perspective. Discussion sessions will give you the opportunity to share your experiences and speak openly about insights you have gained. And if you are new in Germany or even in Hamburg, this is a nice opportunity to talk about your personal experiences and reflect on them.
- reflect upon our own affiliations, related values, and typical behaviors and ways of thinking
- recognize and use cultural differences in communication
- gain sensitivity and cultivate skills for dealing with intercultural situations
- theoretical and practical approaches to the concepts of “culture” and “intercultural skills”
- critical reflection on prejudices, stereotyping, and social perceptions
- practical exercises on various aspects (e.g., notions of time and different styles of communication)
Please note: Block seminar – attendance is mandatory on both course dates!
Date: Sat, 18.01.2020, 10 am – 5 pm and Sun, 19.01.2020, 10 am – 2 pm
Place: Rentzelstraße 17, conference room (ground floor)
Organizer: Hila Safari, psychologist and trained mediator, and Lara Manukyan, BA in cultural studies and MA in Latin American studies
CIC: Can be recognized as Component A of the Certificate Intercultural Competence (CIC). To obtain this recognition, students must participate in both days of the training weekend.
Since the intercultural trainings are conducted in culturally heterogeneous groups, we ask you to click on the appropriate sentence for you.
After the click it will continue to registration.