Intercultural Preparation for Outgoing Students
Is your stay abroad coming up and you have the feeling that you need to do more than subject-specific and language preparation? You are excited about your plans but you sometimes ask yourself: “What will it really be like living in a foreign country?” This intercultural preparation for your stay abroad is intended to help you be able to successfully navigate your daily life and studies – even when you are outside of your cultural comfort zones. In group exercises and discussions, and using various media formats, we will examine self- and social perceptions, stereotypes and prejudices, different working and communications styles, and our understanding of time and space. In this workshop, we will become aware of social and cultural faux pas to avoid and also focus on topics such as homesickness and loneliness. You will have the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with other students in a relaxed atmosphere, and you will leave the workshop looking forward to and feeling at ease about your stay abroad.
- reflect upon our own affiliations, related values, and typical behaviors and ways of thinking
- recognize and use cultural differences in communication
- gain sensitivity and cultivate skills for dealing with intercultural situations
- theoretical and practical approaches to the concepts of “culture” and “intercultural skills”
- critical reflection on prejudices, stereotyping, and social perceptions
- practical exercises on various aspects (e.g., notions of time and different styles of communication)
Please note: Block seminar – attendance is mandatory on both course dates!
Date: Sat, 16.11.2019, 10 am – 3:30 pm and Sun, 17.11.2019, 10 am – 3:30 pm
Place: Rentzelstraße 17, conference room (ground floor)
Organizer: Elena Sheynfeld, MSc in business administration
CIC: Can be recognized as Component A of the Certificate Intercultural Competence (CIC). This seminar will only be recognized for the CIC if students participate in both days of the training weekend.
(Registration starting on Sun, 13.10.2019, 12 noon; please click "Registration".)