Global Modernisms 2019
The 'Global Modernisms/Global Modernities: Developing Transcultural Reading Practices in a Global Age' Summer School will take place within the MQ-FU-HAM trilateral partnership and the phase-2 DAAD Subproject-9 “Modernisms and Modernities East, West and South: Comparing Literary and Cultural Experiences”. The Global Modernism program will be complemented by sessions on German culture and history—topics will be discussed and taught on field trips and during excursions. A language course and extracurricular activities, such as a day trip to Berlin, are also included into the Summer School. Join us for knowledge, credits, and fun!
Dates & Facts
| Start: 1 July 2019 | End: 26 July 2019
| Applications until: 1 May 2019
| Ongoing enrollment
| Est. program hours: 38 hrs a week contact time
| Credits: up to 9 credits (ECTS)
| Language of instruction: English
| 20 % discount for students from strategic and key research partners
Requirements for application:
- Bachelor students (4th-year only), master's students or doctoral students
- Advanced knowledge in related fields (global modernisms)
- English language proficiency at TOEFL 78 or higher (or equivalent)
- Excellent academic record
(Under special circumstances and only if equal qualifications for participation are proven, application requirements may differ from the above mentioned criteria.)
To apply, you must submit:
- Short motivational statement (200–250 words)
- Certificate of completed study program (bachelor's/master's degree or equivalent)*
- Transcripts of Records with grade point average (GPA)
- Language certificate or proof that you are/were enrolled in an English-language study program
*Not applicable for bachelor's students in 4th year of study.
Confirmations of enrollment will be sent out approx. four to six weeks after the application.
Package A (due to availability):
- 4-week program
- incl. accommodation at the B&B Hotel Altona (single room, 27 nights, 27x breakfast)
- Program Fees EUR 2,750
Package B (due to availability):
- 4-week program
- incl. accommodation in a shared 3 bedroom appartment
- Program Fees EUR 2,200
- 4-week program
- without accommodation
- Program Fees: EUR 950
Program fees will be paid after confirmation of enrollment.
- 4-week program (core and complementary study program, language course)
- Official certificate*
- Course materials
- Lunch vouchers (17x)
- Ticket for public transportation
- Extracurricular activities such as
- visits to museums
- excursions to the harbor and other city sights
- day trip to Berlin and to the Hanseatic City of Lübeck
- welcome and farewell events
Fees do not include:
- Flight costs to and from Hamburg
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Costs for dinner
- Other personal expenses
*As a summer school participant you will either receive
- an official certificate (non-credit)
- or both a certificate and a transcript (credit)
with an official seal from the Universität Hamburg , provided of course that you meet all requirements.
Students who wish to earn credits receive, upon successful completion of the programme, an official transcript stating the courses taken, credits earned and grades obtained.
Discount for students from partner universities
Students from strategic and key research partners will receive a 20% discount on program fees.
If you are not sure whether your institution holds a partnership agreement at university level with Universität Hamburg, please contact the international office at your home institution.
Low-income student scholarships
The purpose of the scholarship is to support low-income students and early career researchers to pursue and achieve success in education.
- What will be funded?
The scholarship waives 50% of the tuition fees (Package A: 1375 EUR, Package B: 1100 EUR, Package C: 475 EUR).
- Who is eligible?
Highly qualified international students (undergraduate and graduate) and
early career researchers with a low-income background.
- Which documents have to be submitted?
In addition to the documents required for the summer school application, please
provide us with:
- letter of motivation (with goals and reasons for the necessity of the support)
- brief statement and letter of recommendation by one of your professors with
prospects of success of your participation in the program.
The aforementioned documents can be uploaded using our application portal.
The decision will be made according to the following criteria:
- good or very good performances expected
- other verifiable knowledge and capabilities (e.g. publications, awards)
- social and/or political engagement in an international context
- applicant’s need (please describe your needs in the letter of motivation)
Applicants will be informed about the decision via email within three weeks.
The financial support of students is possible thanks to funding from the Hamburg authorities responsible for Science, Research and Equality (BWFG).
|further funding possibilities on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service.|
Students who are enrolled in a degree program at Universität Hamburg at the time of the summer school may also apply. The program for Universität Hamburg students is limited to core and to the complementary program as well as to extracurricular activities. The following services provided for international participants are not provided to students from Universität Hamburg: participation in the language course, accommodation, lunch vouchers, and the public transportation ticket. Further, flight costs to and from Hamburg, visa costs (if applicable), costs for meals and other personal expenses are not covered.
For Universität Hamburg students, tuition fees will be waived if they agree to support international participants and extracurricular activities within the Summer School as tutors. Tutoring includes support of 3–5 extracurricular activities, some of these activities may take place on weekends. Costs for the support of such activities, e.g., entrance fees and train tickets, will be covered.
Students from Universität Hamburg are subject to the same application procedure as international students. For applying to the Summer School, please follow instructions listed under the tab "Application."
Come to Hamburg
Studying in Hamburg
Attending the Summer School means studying at the biggest research and education institution in Northern Germany. Universität Hamburg hosts a total of 42,000 students in eight faculties and is situated only a few hundred meters away from the city center and the beautiful Alster Lake, an oasis in the middle of this bustling city.
The main campus is equipped with numerous libraries, three dining halls, numerous cafés and other leisure facilities inviting students to relax in between or after lectures. At the newly designed campus in Bahrenfeld, a short bus drive from the city center and your hotel, you will be able to visit some of the world's leading research institutions in physics and other fields of the natural sciences. No matter at which campus your study sessions will take place, you will get authentic insights into Campus life and get to know local students.