Summer School: Particles, Strings & Cosmology 2017
During the summer school Particles, Strings & Cosmology at Universität Hamburg, you will have the opportunity to learn from leading scientists in a unique research environment. You will examine theoretical concepts to deepen your knowledge in these fields and discuss advanced research questions with different peer groups. The physics program will be complemented by sessions on German culture and history—topics will be discussed and taught on field trips and during excursions. A language course and extracurricular activities, such as a day trip to Berlin, will complement the program. Join us for knowledge, credits, and fun!
Testimonials Summer School Particles, Strings & Cosmology
Have a first hand look over the experiences from participants of the Summer School Particles, Strings & Cosmology 2017.
Dates & facts
| Start: 3 July 2017 | End: 28 July 2017
| Application until: 15 May 2017
| Early bird deadline: 12 March 2017
| Est. workload: 160 hrs total / 40 hrs per week
| Credits: up to 5 credits (ECTS)
| Language of instruction: English
- Students must be in the fourth year of their bachelor's degree OR be completing a master's degree or doctorate.
- Advanced knowledge in related fields (physics)
- English language proficiency of TOEFL 78 or higher (or equivalent)
- Excellent academic record
(Under special circumstances and only if equal qualifications for participation are proven, application requirements may differ from the above mentioned criteria.)
For an application, you must submit the following document via email:
- Short motivational statement (preferably as an email text)
- Certificate of degree completed (bachelor's/master's degree or equivalent)*
- Transcripts of Records with grade point average (GPA)
- Language certificate or proof that you are enrolled in an English-language degree program
* Not applicable for bachelor's degree students in 4th year of study.
Confirmations of enrollment will be send out in mid-March (for early-bird applications) and at the beginning of May.
If you do not use Outlook, send your application to: international-summerschool"AT"uni-hamburg.de
Program Fees: 2,700 EUR per person for 4-week program*
Program fees will be paid after confirmation of enrollment.
- 4-week program (technical and complementary study program, language course)
- Official transcript
- Course materials
- Accommodation (incl. breakfast) at the B&B Hotel Hamburg Altona (single room)
- Lunch vouchers
- Ticket for public transportation
- Extracurricular activities such as ...
- ... visits to museums, theaters, and concerts
- ... excursions to the harbor, the Speicherstadt (world heritage site) and the Elbphilharmonie (concert hall)
- ... day trip to Berlin and the Bundestag (German parliament)
- ... welcome and farewell events
- 24/7 contact person in Hamburg
Fees do not include:
- Flight costs to and from Hamburg
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Costs for dinners
- Other personal expenses
* Students who are at the time of the Summer School enrolled in a degree program at Universität Hamburg may also apply to participate in the Summer School program. For those students, net costs will amount to 362.20 EUR, excluding the language course, accommodation, lunch vouchers, and public transport ticket. These net costs do not include flight costs to and from Hamburg, visa costs (if applicable), costs for meals, and other personal expenses. Students enrolled at Universität Hamburg may earn up to 4 credits (ECTS).
All scholarships for this year's program have been awarded.
Scholarship recipients will be informed by the end of March.
Come to Hamburg
Attending the Summer School means studying at the biggest research and education institution in Northern Germany. Universität Hamburg hosts a total of 42,000 students in eight faculties and is situated only a few hundred meters away from the city center and the beautiful Alster Lake, an oasis in the middle of this bustling city.
The main campus is equipped with numerous libraries, three dining halls, numerous cafés, and other leisure facilities inviting students to relax in between or after lectures. At the newly designed campus in Bahrenfeld, a short bus drive from the city center and your hotel, you will be able to visit some of the world's leading research institutions in physics and other fields within the natural sciences. No matter at which campus your courses will take place, you will get authentic insights into Campus life and get to know local students.