|Hamburg International Summer School is going to take place online in July 2021.|
- Does the summer school take place virtually or in the classroom?
Due to the corona pandemic, the summer school will only take place virtually.
- I have submitted my application. What happens now?
As soon as all your documents have been uploaded to our application portal, we will forward your application to a selection committee to check all requirements have been met. After the selection committee confirms you are eligible to take part in our program, we will send you a Confirmation of Acceptance. This will also include information on the next steps, and list the amount you need to pay. The selection process may take up to 4 weeks.
- Which platform does the Summer School use?
You will find all information and materials on OpenOlat. You will also be able to communicate with other participants through OpenOlat.
- Do the lectures take place in a synchronous or asynchronous mode?
In the first week, all lectures will take place in a synchronous mode. The different Summer School programs are organized as follows:
- Language Course: The courses take place exclusively in a synchronous mode. Please find more detailed information on the schedule in the FAQ section "Language Course".
- Cultural program: These courses take place exclusively in a synchronous mode. Please find more detailed information on the schedule in the section "Cultural program".
- Health Economics: The courses take place exclusively in a synchronous mode. The lectures will take place from 12 July to 23 July 2021, Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm.
- Language Diversity: A mix of synchronous and asynchronous modes is used. The majority of the lectures will be provided asynchronously.
- Particles, Strings & Cosmology: The courses will take place synchronously; some of them will be pre-recorded and can also be watched at a later date.
- Which platform is used for the events that take place synchronously?
The synchronous sessions take place via the video conferencing service ZOOM. The links for the ZOOM events are provided via OpenOlat.
- Will the lectures be (pre-)recorded?
Only some of the lectures and sessions will be pre-recorded (see above).
- How can I access the platforms used for the Summer School program?
You will receive your User ID from us in time. It will give you access to all the platforms you need to participate in the Summer School program.
- When will I receive more information about the program?
We will send you all the information you need to know about your participation in the online summer school program when we send the Confirmation of Acceptance. You will receive the final course timetable and detailed program information 4 weeks before the course begins.
- When are my program fees due?
Once we have sent the Confirmation of Acceptance, you have 14 days to transfer the program fees. Unfortunately, we do not have a PayPal account, and we are unable to accept cash transactions on campus.
- What is covered in the program fees?
The program fees include:
- 3 or 4 week program (core and supplementary program)
- language course
- official certificate
- course materials
- extracurricular activities
- When is the language course?
The 16-hour language course will take place during the first week, beginning on Tuesday. Classes are offered either from 9 am to 1 pm or 4 to 8 pm CEST. Students can choose which time they would like to participate in the language course.
- What language level is the course?
We offer a beginner and intermediate course, based on your proficiency. You can indicate your language level in the application portal.
- I am a German native speaker. Do I need to take part in the course?
If you are a native German speaker or possess advanced German skills (C1/C2) then you are not required to take part in this course. In that case you will get a discount on the course fees.
- When does the Summer School start?
The Summer School program starts on 5 July.
- When will I get the course timetable?
The final timetable will be sent to you approximately 4 weeks before the course begins.
- Can I get a grade for participating in the program?
Of course! Please indicate that you would like a grade in the application portal, so we can make the required arrangements.
- Do I have to pay for the extracurricular activities?
No, all extra-curricular activities are covered in the program fees.