Next Generation Partnership – Workshops & Conferences
This funding line aims to support the creation and expansion of multilateral networks. Funding will go to conducting thematic workshops and conferences with multiple partner universities, with the prerequisite that at least one of Universität Hamburg’s strategic partner universities is participating. Projects will target research-based collaboration and cooperation at the management and administrative level. Next Generation Partnerships: Workshops/Conferences is a funding line from the Department of International Affairs at Universität Hamburg and is financed with Excellence Strategy funds.
- Target group: Researchers and administrative staff at Universität Hamburg in collaboration with strategic and other international partner universities.
- Objective: the creation and expansion of multilateral networks; no fixed topic or faculty
- Prerequisite: the participation of at least one strategic partner university
- Funding: up to EUR 12,000 for travel, accommodation and living expenses; pro rata for organizational costs, catering, etc.
- Deadline: open call
- Application form
Eligible partner institutions
Any number of partners can be involved and supported.
However, at least one of the following strategic partner universities has to be involved in the project in order for funding to be granted:
- Fudan University, Shanghai, China
- Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- University of Tsukuba, Japan
- Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
- Lund University, Lund, Sweden
- University of Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands
- University of Strasbourg, Straßburg, Frankreich
- Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas, São Paulo, Campinas, Brasilien
- Universidade de São Paolo, São Paulo, Brasilien
Information on how to apply
Deadline for application:
- Open call, ends with the depletion of funds
- Applications should be handed in at least 1 month prior to the undertaking to allow for enough time to process the application
- Application has to be submitted prior to implementing the activity
- Project aims at development or consolidation of multilateral collaboration
- Participation of at least one strategic partner of Universität Hamburg
- Employment at Universität Hamburg
- Doctoral students and postdocs need the support of the doctoral supervisor or a Professor of the respective field
The following criteria and aspects are included in the decision; they aim in particular at sustainable cooperation:
- Definition of clear goals and outcomes
- Impact of the project on long-term cooperation with partner institutions
- Inclusion of early career researchers
- Already established first research contacts or previous projects at or with partner institutions
- Project within the core research areas, emerging fields or profile initiatives of Universität Hamburg
- Planned external funded projects and funding grants with partner institutions
- partial financing by one or more partner institutions
Export control, academic freedom, and in-depth review procedure
The Department of International Affairs helps Universität Hamburg researchers by minimizing the risk of and providing a sound basis for international cooperation. In 2020, Universität Hamburg’s Executive University Board resolved to establish a review process for international cooperation. The University Administration will review funding applications and cooperation agreements with international partners with regard to the upholding of academic freedom and the requirements of the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA). If cooperation topics are relevant to further control rights issues, and if the cooperating institution is located in a country that the Academic Freedom Index (AFI) has listed as restricting academic freedom, an in-depth review procedure will be initiated. Both the first and the in-depth review will be conducted within strictly defined parameters.
Compliance with all application requirements (see tab Application) is prerequisite for funding as well as the availability of funding means.
Utilization of funds:
- Travel and accommodation expenses for Universität Hamburg staff according to HmbRKG (for external workshops or conferences that do not take place in Hamburg)
- The absorption of accommodation costs for staff from partner universities (only for workshop and conferences in Hamburg)
- In exceptional cases the absorption of travel costs for staff from partner universities for workshops and conferences in Hamburg
- In individual cases the absorption of accommodation costs for staff from partner universities for an external workshop or conference that is funded by Universität Hamburg
- Partial payment of catering, welcome dinner, or other costs incurred in the organization (maximum 15 percent of the total funding amount; any additional costs only after consultation with the University)
- Funding can generally be spent on the employment of student employees and assistants. As a rule, it is not possible to increase existing positions in the academic staff. Likewise, approved funds can in general not be taken to other universities (e.g. if the employment relationship changes)
- Settlements of travel and accommodation expenses for postdoctoral researchers and PhD students pursuant to the Hamburg travel expenses act (Hamburgisches Reisekostengesetz, HmbRKG)
- Maximum funding amount: up to EUR 12,000 per application
Expense claims (academic staff Universität Hamburg)
- Applicant handles funding in agreement with the Department of International Affairs.
- Funding for travel on the part of Universität Hamburg staff must be claimed as work-related travel.
Invoicing and detailed reports
- The applicant must submit a detailed expenses report for all funds and a detailed workshop report to the Department of International Affairs no later than 6 weeks after the workshop has taken place.
- There will be a second assessment of the results of the workshop 18 months after it has taken place.
- Successful applicants will be asked to participate in public relations activities (interviews, press releases, etc.)
Contact Jin Jlussi at international-exstra"AT"uni-hamburg.de if you have any questions regarding funding and invoicing possibilities