Visiting Fellow Program
Using funds from the Excellence Strategy, the Visiting Fellow Program supports international researchers invited by researchers from Universität Hamburg to complete a research stay of up to 2 months. Their stay at Universität Hamburg should contribute to the preparation of a joint grant application for an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation program (scholarship or award). The prospective research project should have links to a core research area, emerging field, or profile initiative at Universität Hamburg or take place within a research area of the Henriette Herz Scouting Programme at Universität Hamburg.
- Target group: Researchers based at Universität Hamburg
- Objective: To recruit excellent (early-career) researchers from abroad; to prepare a grant application to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- Funding: generally up to €5,000 per research stay; travel and housing expense subsidies for a research stay at Universität Hamburg of up to 2 months are also available. Health, accident, and private liability insurance costs are not covered.
- Application deadline: This is ongoing until funds are depleted.
- Application form (DOCX)
Information on applying
- Funding is ongoing until funds are depleted.
- Applications should be submitted at least 2months prior to the start of the project to ensure sufficient processing time.
- You must submit the application before you begin work.
- Note that in the event of a more in-depth review procedure, the application process may take longer. For more information about the procedure, see https://www.kus.uni-hamburg.de/themen/internationales/hochschulkooperation-partnerschaftsmanagement.html on the Staff Service Portal.
- Applicant must be contractually employed at Universität Hamburg. For fixed-term contracts, the person applying must be available as a host for the duration of the project if the grant application to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is successful.
- Invited researcher should have links to core research areas, emerging areas, or profile initiatives at Universität Hamburg.
- Invited researcher should have above-average qualifications.
- There must be plans for a joint application to an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation program.
- There is no further funding for the research stays from other public or private institutions in Germany or abroad.
Send the completed application form (PDF) to international-exstra"AT"uni-hamburg.de.
A decision will be made on the basis of the following selection criteria and considerations, which are designed to identify potential long-term partnerships:
- established research-related contact or previous joint projects between the scout and scouted
- contribution of planned research project to further development of core research area, emerging field, or profile initiative at Universität Hamburg
- plans for a joint application to an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation program
- formal grant application criteria set forth by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation are or can be met (e.g., when the doctorate was awarded)
Export control, academic freedom, and in-depth review procedure
The Department of International Affairs helps Universität Hamburg researchers by minimizing the risk of and providing a sound basis for international cooperation. In 2020, Universität Hamburg’s Executive University Board resolved to establish a review process for international cooperation. The University Administration will review funding applications and cooperation agreements with international partners with regard to the upholding of academic freedom and the requirements of the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA). If cooperation topics are relevant to further control rights issues, and if the cooperating institution is located in a country that the Academic Freedom Index (AFI) has listed as restricting academic freedom, an in-depth review procedure will be initiated. Both the first and the in-depth review will be conducted within strictly defined parameters.
Funding can be granted only if all main application prerequisites (see the “Application” tab) are met and funds are available.
Utilization of funds:
- Monthly flat-rate subsidies for a stay and travel expenses for up to 2 months at Universität Hamburg are available. The costs for the stays are based on guidelines comparable to the funding amounts set forth by DFG programs. Currently, subsidies for researchers amount to a total of €2,350 per month. Post-docs: max. €2,650 per month Comparable to a W2: max. €3,150 per month Comparable to a W3 Travel expense subsidies are also based on DAAD (PDF) amounts.
- You must notify the Department of International Affairs immediately about any changes related to the stay (e.g., duration).
We recommend that you contact the Department of International Affairs before you complete and submit your application.
- As a rule, up to €5,000 is granted per stay; funds do not cover health, accident, or private liability insurance.
- Funds for invited researchers are paid out in lump sums.
- Payment is made by the Department of International Affairs after the invited researcher has arrived in Hamburg.
- Within 6 weeks of the project’s end, the applicant must submit a status report to the Department of International Affairs.
- Successful applicants will be asked to participate in public relations activities (interviews, press releases, etc.)
Contact Jin Jlussi at international-exstra"AT"uni-hamburg.de if you have any questions regarding funding and invoicing options.