Thematic workshops/conferences (North America)
The Department of International Affairs lends financial and organizational support for workshops/conferences that intensify and build upon cooperation with strategic partner universities through its workshops/conferences funding line. As a rule, thematic workshops/conferences build upon existing research contacts. The objective is to identify possibilities for research cooperation, to build upon research cooperation, and to integrate new scientists and scholars into cooperation. These efforts strengthen strategic partnerships.
| Target group: scientists and scholars from Universität Hamburg and partner universities eligible for funding
| Program objectives: to identify opportunities for cooperation following initial contact (match-making); expand existing cooperation at working level; integrate further scientists and scholars, especially early career researchers, into existing cooperation
| Funding: up to EUR 10,000 for travel and living expenses; share of organizational costs, catering, etc.
| Application period: ongoing/ until the depletion of funds
Information on how to apply
We recommend consulting the Deaprtment of International Affairs at Universität Hamburg prior to starting the application process. Afterwards, please send the completed application form (PDF) to your contact person (see right).
Application deadline: ongoing/ until the depletion of funds
Restrictions: one-time funding per person per budgetary year
- initiating cooperation after initial research contact or expanding upon existing cooperation and academic collaboration
- applicant is a professor at Universität Hamburg or a professor is supporting the application
- workshop to be carried out with one of the strategic partners eligible for funding (see above)
- desirable but not required is counter financing from the partner (as a rule, the hosting university pays for expenses of the stay while guests pay their own travel costs)
The following selection criteria will be considered in the final decision. They focus especially on sustainable cooperation:
- partial financing from partner institution
- initial research contact or previous projects at or with the partner institution
- project’s impact on long-term cooperation with partner institution
- planned external funding projects or funding grants with partner institutions
- inclusion of early career researchers
- participant diversity
Export control, academic freedom, and in-depth review procedure
The Department of International Affairs helps Universität Hamburg researchers by minimizing the risk of and providing a sound basis for international cooperation. In 2020, Universität Hamburg’s Executive University Board resolved to establish a review process for international cooperation. The University Administration will review funding applications and cooperation agreements with international partners with regard to the upholding of academic freedom and the requirements of the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA). If cooperation topics are relevant to further control rights issues, and if the cooperating institution is located in a country that the Academic Freedom Index (AFI) has listed as restricting academic freedom, an in-depth review procedure will be initiated. Both the first and the in-depth review will be conducted within strictly defined parameters.
Further funding criteria include compliance with all essential application requirements (see “Applying”) and the availability of funding.
- travel expenses, accommodation
- share of catering, welcome dinner, and other organizational expenses (should not exceed 15% of total funding amount)
- Expenses, especially for travel and accommodation for guests, should follow guidelines comparable to funding amounts set forth by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- Maximum funding amount: generally EUR 10,000 per application
Expense claims (academic staff Universität Hamburg)
- Applicant handles funding in agreement with the Department of International Affairs.
- Funding for travel on the part of Universität Hamburg staff must be claimed as work-related travel.
Claims and report
- Applicants must submit a detailed expense claim for the funding as well as a report (Word document) within 6 weeks of the end of the workshop/conference. Submit these to the Department of International Affairs.