Trilateral staff development and exchange program NW-SU-UHH
INCLUSIVE INTERNATIONAL COMPETENCIES
3 to 7 October 2022 at Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
The trilateral staff development and exchange program organized by Northwestern University (United States), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), and Universität Hamburg focuses on the professional development and continuing education of administrative staff, the learning of new skills, and the gathering of international experience under the New Flagship University Administration program for the internationalization of administration.
This year provides a program developed by Stellenbosch University on the topic of inclusive international competencies. It addresses in detail the topics of intercultural skills and inclusion and aims to provoke a joint discussion on internationalization within diverse university fields. The topics are introduced alongside best-practice examples from Stellenbosch University, which will be explored in joint discussions.
The workshop will be expanded through joint virtual meetings held by the individual home institutions. Participants will be made up of equal numbers of members from Northwestern University, Stellenbosch University, and Universität Hamburg.
This call for applications is directed at staff members within the faculties and central administrations of Universität Hamburg whose daily work involves intercultural skills and inclusion and who are looking to enhance their field of activity by building an international network. A willingness to actively participate is required.
| Target group: administrative staff at Universität Hamburg whose activities are related to the program topic
| Program objectives: skills development and the improvement of international collaboration at the administrative level
| Program duration: preparatory meetings online, prior to program at Stellenbosch University from 3 to 7 October 2022
| Funding: travel and accommodation expenses as per the Hamburg travel expenses act (Hamburgisches Reisekostengesetz, HmbRKG)
| Application deadline: 14 April 2022
| Notification: End of May 2022
| Program (individual program elements may vary)
Questions about the program and applying for it can be asked during our open office hours:
- 22 March 2022 from 12 pm to 1 pm
- 05 April 2022 from 4 pm to 5 pm
Following this Zoom link.
- employed at Universität Hamburg for the duration of the period abroad in October 2022
- advanced proficiency in English
- current or future involvement in the program topic and the related field
- potential to derive benefit for the field as a whole and beyond personal development
- approval from supervisor
- willingness to participate in (online) preparatory meetings in Hamburg and in the program in South Africa
- pursuant to our partner university’s rules, vaccinated with a vaccine recognized in Germany and South Africa at the time of the course
| Application deadline: 14 April 2022
Participation is only permitted in accordance with the current entry requirements and the regulations applicable at both Universität Hamburg and the partner university.
- clear and demonstrable motivation for participation
- program’s relation to day-to-day duties and field of work
- convincing presentation of added value for the field as well as potential ideas for international collaboration
- contribution to the internationalization of the field
Applications are evaluated by a selection committee.
You will also be invited to a short interview, conducted in English.
Travel and accommodation expenses:
- Travel and accommodation expenses for Universität Hamburg employees are paid for by the Department of International Affairs pursuant to the Hamburg travel expenses act (Hamburgisches Reisekostengesetz, HmbRKG).
- Funds used to cover the travel costs of Universität Hamburg employees must be claimed as part of the expense claim for work-related travel.
Report and knowledge sharing:
- A detailed report must be submitted no later than six weeks after the end of the program.
- There must be a willingness to share knowledge gained with other Universität Hamburg members at internationalization events.
- The program may only be conducted when permitted by the COVID-19 regulations in force at the scheduled time.
- An internal organizational and preparatory meeting will take place in June or July for all participating Universität Hamburg staff to discuss the program process as well as all work-related travel regulations and organizational information.
- You must regularly check the travel recommendations provided on the Federal Foreign Office website.
- Participation presumes all required conditions are satisfied (e.g., vaccination status recognized in both Germany and South Africa).
How do I apply for work-related travel?
You can find all necessary information here: https://www.kus.uni-hamburg.de/themen/dienstreisen/vor-der-reise.html
What costs are paid?
The Department of International Affairs will cover the travel and accommodation expenses as per the Hamburg travel expenses act (Hamburgisches Reisekostengesetz, HmbRKG).
Do I need to prepare a presentation or talk about my work/project?
You don't have to prepare a presentation. However, you need to be prepared to talk about your work/projects as well as actively participate.
Where can I find information on Universität Hamburg’s current rules on work-related travel?
You can find the answers to the most important questions on the coronavirus pandemic in the FAQ, which is regularly updated: https://www.uni-hamburg.de/newsroom/intern/2020/0131-corona-faq.html
As well as in the KUS Portal: https://www.kus.uni-hamburg.de/themen/dienstreisen.html
Where can I find information on South Africa’s entry requirements?
Do I need international health insurance?
International health insurance is recommended. Pleasen note that travel insurance expenses can under no circumstances be reimbursed.
Will the program be postponed or conducted virtually?
Whether or not the program can be postponed or conducted online will be determined based on the specific circumstances and communicated in advance.