Checklist: Preparations and self-presentation at job fairs
Checkliste: Preparations before attending the job fair
- Have a close look at the exhibition catalog
- Create a ranking according to criteria
- Prepare your resume; create a short profile with your strengths and skills
- Organisation: Time schedule; clothing; getting there, etc.
Checklist: Preparing information about the companies
- Which companies are you interest in? Define your professional goals
- Look for relevant information about the specific industry and the company
- Have a look at their website and the company’s job offers
- Look for industry-internal information via associations
- Get informed about products/annual report/company philosophy
Checklist: Find the appropriate contact person
- Who do I like best?
- Who is having conversations and how?
- Who is responsible? Who is a human resources manager? Who do I want to talk to?
Choose your outfit
- The outfit should fit the industry you are interested in
- Wear dark pants/a shirt/a blouse or jacket
- Be authentic, don’t disguise yourself
Rules for the conversation
- Listen very carefully
- Ask if you don’t understand something
- Answer in full sentences
- Get to the point briefly and concisley
- Stay authentic
- Keep paper and pen ready
- Pay attention to your body language and posture
- Use and control your voice consciously
- Make a note of the name of the person you are talking to
Evaluation of the conversation and follow-up
- Make a brief note about your conversation and your impressions on the business card
Criteria for evaluating your own self-presentation:
- Contact ability
- Performance motivation
- Stress behaviour
Important: First and last impressions matter the most!
Listeners only perceive 7% of the content you are speaking, 55% make up of your body language and 38% of your voice.
Holding eye contact, having a firm handshake, smiling and wearing clean shoes goes a long way.