How to prepare for a job fair
A job fair is a good opportunity to make important new business contacts, so it is essential to prepare well.
We have a few recommendations.
Answer these questions:
- What are your goals?
- What areas of work interest you?
- Which sectors do you aim to work in?
Find out about the business and organizations that interest you in advance.
Before you go to the fair, gather information about:
- products and lines of business
- philosophy and objectives
- target groups
... and prepare any specific questions you have for the company.You can find company profiles and other information sources in exhibitors’ lists displayed on the job fair website.
Prepare yourself for potential discussions or questions at the company stand:
- What expertise, special skills, and strengths do you have?
- How do you deal with other people? (social skills)
- How do you structure and master tasks? (methodological skills)
- Are you good at leading people and delegating responsibilities clearly and purposefully? (leadership skills)
- More ideas for making conversation at exhibition stands
Get your application documents in order:
- cover page
- cover letter
- attachments or enclosures (certificates, references)
You can come to the Career Center for an application check. Just make sure to make an appointment in good time—there is usually a wait! It is also a good idea to take a brief profile with you when you approach a stand. You can find a useful template here.
Choose appropriate clothes.
- You should feel comfortable and confident.
- If necessary, ask people you know in the field about the usual industry dress code.